Probably a stupid question ..

masrhinman

I have a stock 2009 JKU Sahara, and the shocks are starting to ware out. I have picked up a set of shocks for a rubicon, so my question is will the rubicon shocks fit onto my Sahara, and is there even a performance gain other than the nice look of the red.

SoCalDozer

Yes they bolt right on. And you will see a slight ride improvement both on road and off road. At least I did on mine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they'll fit and will just bolt on as a direct replacement. The Rubicon shocks are a bit firmer than the Sport or Sahara sets and will provide a nicer ride... or, at least in my opinion :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
probably adding to the stupid questions, but how do I actually get it out

1. Using a 5/8″ wrench, hold your front shock can in place just below the upper shock mount to keep it from spinning. Then, remove the stud mount nut above using a 16mm wrench.
main.php

2. Using an 18mm socket and wrench, remove the bolt and nut securing the front shocks to the lower axle mount.
main.php

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Lmao!! I was just thinking. Eddie will post a write up before I can find it..lol. I think hes actually part ninja!

Paratroopers stay up longer!

JKBANDIT55

Also be sure not to over tighten the nuts after install. The rubber bushings on the top will start to stretch and rip if you over tighten them.

masrhinman

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for, is the process similar for the rear? Or are there different steps!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for, is the process similar for the rear? Or are there different steps!

Unlike the front where the shock uses a stud mount, the rear shock uses a bar pin at the top and it's secured in place with 2 bolts.

1. Using a 16mm socket and a 6″-12″ ratchet drive extension, remove the 2 upper rear shock mount bolts.
main.php

2. Using an 18mm socket and wrench, remove the bolt and nut securing the rear shocks to the lower axle mounts. Remove and set aside your shocks for now.
main.php

Top Bottom