need some help with upgrade ideas

tflatt281

I'm currently deployed in Iraq so racking up on tax free money right now so perfect time to plan some upgrades. I'm looking at doing DV8 slim fenders with RK front and rear inner fenders, also looking at going ahead and regearing and putting lockers in as I plan on getting new fuel wheels and nitto mud grapplers 35s when my set I have now wears out (I imagine it wont be long when I bought the jeep the owner had put some walmart mud tire on). My question is what gear should I get? Watched a youth video and the guy said take your tire size x current gear then divide all that by stock tire size, so currently I have 305/75 r17 (33.8) so in between a 33 and a 34 and my stock gear is a 3.73 sense it was a non rubi model (insert sad face) and stock tire size was a 255/75 r16 (31.1) the math comes out that I need a 4.05 gear to be back to stock. So do the math but change it to a 35 says I need a 4.19 that's not a gear ratio that is made so I'm thinking 4.11s. but I have seen on a few forms people saying going from 3.73 to 4.10s 4.11s there isn't really any difference so I need some opinions of what to do. And to add I have the 6 speed trans I know that makes a difference. also few more things i may change im looking at doing a RIPP headers some say its a waste some say its worth the money would like some input on that.and also if anyone knows if i have to get the diablo tuner with them sense i have a bullydog tuner already.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 175

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I believe there is quite a few members on here running their stuff. I don’t know about the gears but their axle shafts have lifetime warranty.

tflatt281

th headers are just a idea,but the gears are going to happen soon the math says i need around 4.11 gears but people are saying 4.56 i have no intentions of ever going over a 35 right now with a banks intake bullydog and a magnaflow exhaust it handles the 306/75s ok around 16 mpg. but lockers and gears and possible Axles are on my hit llist next after these fenders. anyone have suggestions of lockers? was thinking e locker cause its easy to install no compressor to mount but iv herd there a pain when you back up cause it unlocks then relocks when you go forward again

WJCO

Meme King
th headers are just a idea,but the gears are going to happen soon the math says i need around 4.11 gears but people are saying 4.56 i have no intentions of ever going over a 35 right now with a banks intake bullydog and a magnaflow exhaust it handles the 306/75s ok around 16 mpg. but lockers and gears and possible Axles are on my hit llist next after these fenders. anyone have suggestions of lockers? was thinking e locker cause its easy to install no compressor to mount but iv herd there a pain when you back up cause it unlocks then relocks when you go forward again

We just did 4.88s on our 3.8L (JKU, Automatic) with the intention of running 35s. We are currently at 33s and it feels great. RPMs are a little high on the highway but other than that no complaints.

When I did the gears, I pulled out 4.11s. The dealer said it came with 3.73s, so obviously someone had worked on it before. Prior to doing the gears, it definitely lacked power passing on highway or going uphill. There's no way I would go with 4.11 if you're planning on going with 35s.

JKbrick

We just did 4.88s on our 3.8L (JKU, Automatic) with the intention of running 35s. We are currently at 33s and it feels great. RPMs are a little high on the highway but other than that no complaints.

When I did the gears, I pulled out 4.11s. The dealer said it came with 3.73s, so obviously someone had worked on it before. Prior to doing the gears, it definitely lacked power passing on highway or going uphill. There's no way I would go with 4.11 if you're planning on going with 35s.

Doug do you think 4:88 with 33s and a six speed is too much from your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
Doug do you think 4:88 with 33s and a six speed is too much from your experience?

I don’t know what year your Jeep is but, 3.6/6 speed on 37s with 4.88 was great in my opinion, I only had to down shift on long grades but the power was there when needed. So it may be a bit much on 33s, hell I wouldn’t regear until you moved up to 35s or 37s

JKbrick

I don’t know what year your Jeep is but, 3.6/6 speed on 37s with 4.88 was great in my opinion, I only had to down shift on long grades but the power was there when needed. So it may be a bit much on 33s, hell I wouldn’t regear until you moved up to 35s or 37s

It’s got the 3.8 but with the 4:11 and 6speed it seems normal. I just like to plan ahead in case I run across a good deal I can grab it

BaddestCross

Ok so anyone running 5.13 gears with there 3.8 motor auto trans and 35s... looking for feedback with intentions of going to 37s in near future

Yes. Ran 35s for about 6 months with 5.13s and just put 37s on this week. It revs a little high with 35s, but not obnoxiously so and is perfect with the 37s. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BaddestCross

Do you recall what your rpms were like at highway speeds 75mph or more ..?

This chart is pretty accurate...
10838863zh.jpg
So at 70mph it was around 25-26k, 75mph was probably around 26-27k.

Take into consideration that this chart is accurate for actual measured tire size, not advertised size. In other words, my 35s were worn down to about 33" before I swapped them so I'm basing this on 33" tire size.
--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
This chart is pretty accurate...
View attachment 304288
So at 70mph it was around 25-26k, 75mph was probably around 26-27k.

Take into consideration that this chart is accurate for actual measured tire size, not advertised size. In other words, my 35s were worn down to about 33" before I swapped them so I'm basing this on 33" tire size.
--

I just recently noticed I dropped down in the 26k to 27k range with 5.13's 35's and 3.8 auto. I was giving credit to my Flashpaq. But reading this maybe you're right . 21,000 miles on my ProComp MT ( I was new) are getting a little smaller. Thanks:beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom