Axle Question

critter812

So these things on the outside of the axle shafts are called oil slingers! Why are the on the outside? I am considering since I have to pull my shafts to change an inner seal that is leaking to add outer seals I would like to see everyone's thoughts on the outer seals????
Axle.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I think that question came up before. With the outer seals you can’t tell when your inner seals are bad because all the gear oil will be trapped inside the tubes.

critter812

I think that question came up before. With the outer seals you can’t tell when your inner seals are bad because all the gear oil will be trapped inside the tubes.

That is a good point! just cannot figure out how I killed a seal on a 2017 Jk with only 15K miles. I was guessing dirt or mud got in there.

critter812

Isn't it under warranty ?

Yea I have not tried that yet! I don't see how they would do it with me running Slabs with 35's under warranty. Now after reading that thread I wonder if I bent the axle tube on my drivers side!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
One of my front axle seals started leaking after couple years, not sure how many miles. I was regeared, with lift and 37s, dealer fixed it no problems. I guess it just depends on a dealer if one says no, try a different dealer. Dealers around here also give a free loaner so you are not stuck without a car for the time being.

Top Bottom