Power steering issues

Clark Collins

My power steering has started acting up at low RPM. I have 58K+ miles and some of our local Jeepers have had similar issues with their 3.8l JKs. One of them says he has replaced his PS pump twice. I haven't had mine looked at by a mechanic yet, but thought I would see what I could learn about this issue from the forum. If my PS pump needs replacing is there any value in upgrading to a better pump? I am running 35s and not intending to ever go larger.

BaddestCross

My power steering has started acting up at low RPM. I have 58K+ miles and some of our local Jeepers have had similar issues with their 3.8l JKs. One of them says he has replaced his PS pump twice. I haven't had mine looked at by a mechanic yet, but thought I would see what I could learn about this issue from the forum. If my PS pump needs replacing is there any value in upgrading to a better pump? I am running 35s and not intending to ever go larger.
Mine has a leaky seal around the sector shaft. I bought a remanufactured pump to swap in and the plan is to send my factory in to be rebuilt and trapped by West Texas Offroad so I can eventually run they're hydro setup.

For now, I just keep some ATF+4 in the Jeep to top off the steering reservoir and take it easy as I can steering on the rocks.

I'd like to get the big steering box from PSC, but that thing costs a fortune for what it is in my opinion... If I could find a used on on CL, I'd probably go that way instead.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
Mine has a leaky seal around the sector shaft. I bought a remanufactured pump to swap in and the plan is to send my factory in to be rebuilt and trapped by West Texas Offroad so I can eventually run they're hydro setup.

For now, I just keep some ATF+4 in the Jeep to top off the steering reservoir and take it easy as I can steering on the rocks.

I'd like to get the big steering box from PSC, but that thing costs a fortune for what it is in my opinion... If I could find a used on on CL, I'd probably go that way instead.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I think you guys are talking about separate things. OP is asking about the PS pump, and you’re talking about the steering box.

jknikos

I had my steering pump leaving me after hiting a hard obstacle where it really had a hard time. I just replaced it with a mopar unit and I had never had any issues since. The only difference is that the new unit is louder than the old one. I cannot explain why. :idontknow: I also run 35s

wjtstudios

Hooked

I wouldn’t see a need to upgrade to a bigger pump unless you are upgrading your steering gear or going to a cylinder assist. Just replace it with an OEM pump. If you want to upgrade, I love my PSC Big Bore llR. Then you could use a larger pump.

Before you try replacing it, you might try flushing the system and getting new fluid going thru it. Swepco has good products.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Can you better explain what you mean by "acting up"?

Clark Collins

Can you better explain what you mean by "acting up"?
At low speeds sometimes it acts like the power steering isn't working. It is hard to turn to get out of a parking lot. It has only done this a few times. The flued level was about 1" below topped off, but I wouldn't think that would cause it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At low speeds sometimes it acts like the power steering isn't working. It is hard to turn to get out of a parking lot. It has only done this a few times. The flued level was about 1" below topped off, but I wouldn't think that would cause it.

Is the pump making a whining sound when this happens or at all?

jeeeep

Hooked

1" below level is quite a bit - at the lower RPM the pump doesn't turn fast enough to supply enough fluid to provide pressure when it's low.

If you were to put it in neutral (assuming you have an automatic) and rev it up does it steer easier?

Once you get moving your rpms are high enough to keep the pressure but I'd guess your steering still isn't as smooth as it can be versus when the fluid level is full.

It may also have air in it with the level so low - that will also make it difficult to steer at low idle (like when parking)

have you looked for the leak in the system?

Clark Collins

1" below level is quite a bit - at the lower RPM the pump doesn't turn fast enough to supply enough fluid to provide pressure when it's low.

If you were to put it in neutral (assuming you have an automatic) and rev it up does it steer easier? It is steering fine now, so this didn't change anything

Once you get moving your rpms are high enough to keep the pressure but I'd guess your steering still isn't as smooth as it can be versus when the fluid level is full.

It may also have air in it with the level so low - that will also make it difficult to steer at low idle (like when parking)

have you looked for the leak in the system?
I have not, but I just barely topped off the reservoir.

I may have jumped the gun on this issue as it seems to be working fine now. Someone on our local club facebook page posted about this problem on his JK and the next morning my Jeep steered hard turning out of the driveway. Then it did it a couple more times. Since I topped off the reservoir it has not acted up.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I may have jumped the gun on this issue as it seems to be working fine now. Someone on our local club facebook page posted about this problem on his JK and the next morning my Jeep steered hard turning out of the driveway. Then it did it a couple more times. Since I topped off the reservoir it has not acted up.

Sounds like you were just pulling air into the system. Glad to hear things are working now.

jeeeep

Hooked

yep, 1" low is pretty low, topping it off will cure it for now.

I would still keep an eye out for leaks, it shouldn't drop that low.

Top Bottom