3.5" lift Install

Josh2313

Hey All,

Hope everyone’s summer is going well so far. So, I finally pulled the trigger on a lift for my 2016 Jk and am wondering if it’s something I can install myself (and maybe a few buddies). I’ve done minor upgrades so far on the jeep but nothing as intensive as a lift. The lift I ended up going with is the JKS Jkonnect 3.5” kit and I optioned for adjustable upper control arms as well. I can post the exact components of the lift if that helps but it includes most of the standard parts that a 3.5” lift would include.

What tips do you guys have if I install it myself? Any specialty tools I may need? Basically any advice you all can give would help me out a ton! Once it’s all done I’ll be sure to post up pictures.

Thanks again,
-Josh

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Hey All,

Hope everyone’s summer is going well so far. So, I finally pulled the trigger on a lift for my 2016 Jk and am wondering if it’s something I can install myself (and maybe a few buddies). I’ve done minor upgrades so far on the jeep but nothing as intensive as a lift. The lift I ended up going with is the JKS Jkonnect 3.5” kit and I optioned for adjustable upper control arms as well. I can post the exact components of the lift if that helps but it includes most of the standard parts that a 3.5” lift would include.

What tips do you guys have if I install it myself? Any specialty tools I may need? Basically any advice you all can give would help me out a ton! Once it’s all done I’ll be sure to post up pictures.

Thanks again,
-Josh

That kit is a pretty simple install. It’s all bolt on just like other things you’ve bolted on. Just more components. I can’t think of any gotchas that you should be concerned with but if you get hung up on something, there are plenty of people on here willing to give tips and help out.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hey All,

Thanks again,
-Josh

Jack it up as high as you can when you first get started. LARGE jackstands under the frame help keep it up high. A cordless or air impact will save you a lot of time.

After you get the control arms and track bar back on, don't tighten them all the way until the vehicle is back on the ground, then torque them to specs.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
3.5" lift Install

Jack it up as high as you can when you first get started. LARGE jackstands under the frame help keep it up high. A cordless or air impact will save you a lot of time.

After you get the control arms and track bar back on, don't tighten them all the way until the vehicle is back on the ground, then torque them to specs.

I get the control arms but why the track bar? Don’t mean to hyjack thread. I torqued my track bar while it was still off the ground. I think today I’ll be checking it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

HatcHJeeP

I’m following. I just got my Rock Krawler X factor 3.5” lift earlier this week and am planning on installing it myself. I have a buddy that has a lift in his shop so I’m planning on using that to hold the Jeep up.

DMF

Get a friend to help. It would save you a ton of time and energy. And will make things fun too.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
3.5" lift Install

I get the control arms but why the track bar? Don’t mean to hyjack thread. I torqued my track bar while it was still off the ground. I think today I’ll be checking it.

That’s what I sometimes do too, never really had any problems. Like rear upper arms are impossible to torque (axle side) if you have tall bump stops. Sometimes I just jack the Jeep up by the axle until it’s off the jacks a little and torque my bolts then. Technically it’s sitting under its own weight when lifted by the axles, even with the wheels of.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Is an alignment required after installing the lift?

You will probably need to adjust the drag link to re-center the steering wheel. If it’s far enough off then the computer freaks out when you are driving and enables traction control going around a corner. It’s pretty easy to do.

HatcHJeeP

You will probably need to adjust the drag link to re-center the steering wheel. If it’s far enough off then the computer freaks out when you are driving and enables traction control going around a corner. It’s pretty easy to do.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I’m getting excited to get the lift and tires on.

Josh2313

Thanks everyone for all the replies! Me and a buddy will be attempting to install it next week. I’ll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!
-Josh

JayLynn

Thanks everyone for all the replies! Me and a buddy will be attempting to install it next week. I’ll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!
-Josh

If you have a harbor freight close by and need them, their 6 ton jack stands and 3 ton jack worked perfect for me when I did my Teraflex 3" lift in the garage. Make sure you get the jeep as high as possible on the stands. I tackled the job solo so it took both Sat and Sunday to finish. With two people it should go much quicker. Just take your time and have fun with it. You'll learn a ton about the jeep and save some cash in the process.

Top Bottom