Differential Oil Change

nkoulian

Greetings all! First time posting on Wayalife.

I recently had my 2014 JK-U (D30 front, D44 rear) re-geared from 3:21 to 4:56 with a rear E-locker and ARB covers. It’s been 500+ miles and time to change the oil. Looking for recommendations on brand/type of oil, and how much to fill - ideal level on ARB cover dipstick.

Thank you all. Safe and Happy 4th!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King

I recently had my 2014 JK-U (D30 front, D44 rear) re-geared from 3:21 to 4:56 with a rear E-locker and ARB covers. It’s been 500+ miles and time to change the oil. Looking for recommendations on brand/type of oil, and how much to fill - ideal level on ARB cover dipstick.

As far as fluid type, I use the cheapest possible. As far as type for 4:56, I'm pretty sure you can just use 80W90. If you have a limited slip carrier, you will new fluid with the Friction Modifier additive.

As far as level, your cover instructions should have stated that but I'm assuming these are the same covers:

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/ARB_Diff_Cov_Inst.pdf

rear.jpg

Ddays

Hooked

Diff oil is like engine oil - pick a brand that's your favorite - as long as it needs the performance/service requirements you'll be good to go. :thumb:

nkoulian

Thank you all! WJCO, the ARB technique is a good one if only I still had the old covers...I guess I’ll check the existing level on the dipstick and add the same. TY.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thank you all! WJCO, the ARB technique is a good one if only I still had the old covers...I guess I’ll check the existing level on the dipstick and add the same. TY.

In the rear 44, the gear oil also lubricates the wheel bearings. So you want the level high enough that it’s slightly above the lower part of the axle tube. That way, oil can travel down the tubes and lubricate the bearings. If you notice, the fill hole on the stock 44 cover is right at that level.

Top Bottom