Bad Tie Rod?

KeroJK

So i got the new general grabber atx tires installed today at town fair, i also got the alignment and they told me they could not do the alignment because the guy could not get my tie rid loose (what could he not loosen? The jam nut thing?)
. So here comes a couple of questions! The install seems simple. Loosen each end and unbolt the steering stabilizer Install the new one, reinstall the stabilizer and get an alignment! Is that right?

Questions:
1. I keep seeing tie rod/drag link kits, i dont care for a drag link, i can just replace the tire rod alone right?

2. I wheel but not crazy enough where i need a super expensive crazy tie rod, just a factory replacement should be amazing for me, can i do that? And if yes then where can i find one? I see Crown makes this kit:
Crown Automotive 52060052K CAS52060052K TIE ROD KIT

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Automotive-52060052K-CAS52060052K-TIE-ROD-KIT/49833412

Is this the full assembly? I know realistically i just need new ends or even losening what i have but its old so im gonna replace the whole thing.

3. Any good tutorials or write-ups out there on how to replace the OEM tie rods on a jk?

4. From my understanding, it does not matter if you have a 2 dr or 4 dr, the tie rod is the same right? Do the bushings and the nuts come with the kit?

5. If I get an OEM like tie rod and measure it out to the same length as my current one, install it and take it in for an alignment, I should be good right? No safety concerns?

Thank you all, appreciate it so much and I know I'm asking a lot but any info helps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

J

JKDream

So i got the new general grabber atx tires installed today at town fair, i also got the alignment and they told me they could not do the alignment because the guy could not get my tie rid loose (what could he not loosen? The jam nut thing?)
. So here comes a couple of questions! The install seems simple. Loosen each end and unbolt the steering stabilizer Install the new one, reinstall the stabilizer and get an alignment! Is that right?

Questions:
1. I keep seeing tie rod/drag link kits, i dont care for a drag link, i can just replace the tire rod alone right?

2. I wheel but not crazy enough where i need a super expensive crazy tie rod, just a factory replacement should be amazing for me, can i do that? And if yes then where can i find one? I see Crown makes this kit:
Crown Automotive 52060052K CAS52060052K TIE ROD KIT

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Automotive-52060052K-CAS52060052K-TIE-ROD-KIT/49833412

Is this the full assembly? I know realistically i just need new ends or even losening what i have but its old so im gonna replace the whole thing.

3. Any good tutorials or write-ups out there on how to replace the OEM tie rods on a jk?

4. From my understanding, it does not matter if you have a 2 dr or 4 dr, the tie rod is the same right? Do the bushings and the nuts come with the kit?

5. If I get an OEM like tie rod and measure it out to the same length as my current one, install it and take it in for an alignment, I should be good right? No safety concerns?

Thank you all, appreciate it so much and I know I'm asking a lot but any info helps

It's likely the adjustment sleeve on your current tie rod is filled with mud and grit, once that happens it's very hard to adjust them.
A pipe wrench usually does the trick though.

1. Yes, you do not have to replace both, you can upgrade just the tie rod. A majority of members here (including WAL) are still using the factory drag link.

2. You can use an OEM replacement, I believe they have them on Amazon. I would recommend upgrading though, the factory one bends like a wet noodle.

3. This will vary a bit depending on the brand of tie rod, some have different types of adjustment but this should do the trick for you:
https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-writ...y-duty-chromoly-tie-rod-installation-write-up

4. Correct, 2 door and 4 door tie rods are the same. Any replacement should come with rod ends (bushings as you put) and hardware.

5. Yes. Actually you can do your own alignments at home with a tape measure. Wranglers don't have a lot of adjustments (toe is basically it), so you can save some money here. https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment

KeroJK

1 reply made it count, you answered every question. Thank you so much man. Will look at a couple of upgrades but with the wheeling I do my current one is still not bent just rusted. I seen some good affordable options out there as far as upgraded for under 200.

Top Bottom