Solution for Mounting the Spare Tire in Cargo Area

darkscion0

I just ordered a set of 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers a couple hours ago. After reading a lot of horror stories about mounting larger tires on the stock tailgate I've started looking for alternate solutions. Unfortunately an aftermarket tire carrier is just not in the budget right now as the cheapest solution I've found is $800+. I'm contemplating securing the spare in the cargo area, either via some some or mounting bracket (haven't found one yet) or by strapping it down. Would anyone have pics of a solution they've come up with for putting the spare in the cargo area?

Thanks!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is my favorite setup for the spare (minus the flop). But a lot of people don't like it for a DD.

263979_10151349637258680_594609758_n.jpg

JKBANDIT55

Like mentioned in other threads. Of money is an issue and can't afford a tire carrier. You can buy a wheel spacer to attach to the stock carrier that pushes the wheel out far enough from the bumper to close the tail gate. Or, a more cheaper,Jerry rig, short time solution would be to put an equal amount of bolt washers on the studs enough to push the tire out. Just make sure there is enough thread on the bolts to tighten the tire down enough.

Although this should only be a short temporary solution until you get a tire carrier. I don't recommend this, but If you have to it will work!

Good luck

White_JKU

Ive been lucky I guess.. running my 35 on a stock carrier for over a year now with weekend wheeling about twice a month.

I do have a tramp stamp mounted in between the tailgate and carrier... that basically acts as a big washer.

no one in our club that runs 35's on stock carriers has had any issues either.

Moochie

Ive been lucky I guess.. running my 35 on a stock carrier for over a year now with weekend wheeling about twice a month.

I do have a tramp stamp mounted in between the tailgate and carrier... that basically acts as a big washer.

I never had any problems either. There is a risk though. If you hit your spare while dropping off a ledge, you can destroy your tailgate. I've seen it happen.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
smittybilt makes a carrier thats very cheap for the stock tailgate for bigger tires...not sure on how well it holds up tho but seems a decent ammount of people run it. Ranco makes a bumper/carrier combo for around 500. All i did after I got my 35s was take the rear seat out (2 door) and lay the tire down, hasnt moved an inch since I put it back there. I did think about strapping it down but didnt see the need, plus just been waiting on my tire carrier anyway.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Cross strapped and bungied mine in the bed for years with no issues. It didn't bounce around or loosen. The bungies are an old dirtbikers trick to keep the straps from coming off or loosening. I can't speak for safety in case of a violent rollover or collision which could turn the spare into a UFO in the front seat.:twocents:

i remember you having it off for a good chunk of that.
good wide tie downs are the cheapest way to get it mounted. ive also seen it standing up on end strapped tot eh roll bar and a bracket make out of angle iron from lowes.

mrmet1983

anyone have any pics of that cheap smittybilt tire carrier or and experience with them , curious hwo they hold up

Top Bottom