TeraFlex 2.5 BB or 2.5 Lift??

JethroJK

So I am going to take the advice of many on the site to go with a 2.5 TeraFlex BB. :clap2: Now with that said I have a question. :yup:

I was on the TeraFlex website and noticed they have a 2.5 lift system. Now the only difference I see between the two systems is the BB uses the spacers and the lift kit gives you new springs. Both use adapters to use the existing shocks and the difference in price is about 154.00. So would there be any benefit of buying the lift kit vice the BB other than you get new springs? :thinking: Is it worth the additional 154 bucks??

jkjurny

I hear the spring lift is taller, so you may run into driveline issues, but others with experience will chime in. On my TF lift I'm about 4.5 inches taller on a 3" lift.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The spring lift boasts 3.1" and a lot of members change out the TF shocks as well. I believe the BB would maintain the factory ride.

JKBANDIT55

The spacers are cheaper because you have more of a chance of something going wrong. Not saying this happens a lot. But a few times I came across a thread where the spacers start to cup and squish due to extra weight on the jeep from aftermarket parts. But like I said. This rarely happens and just could be that they installed them wrong, or just a malfunction in the manufacturing of making the spacers.

you see people who have problems where the spacer falls out on full flex because they don't have the retainers and or, their shocks are too long for their lift.

I never understood how people say spacers on stock coils kept a stock ride as adding the spacers to stock coils would compress the springs more causing a very stiff ride.

As you can see in the pic below. I ran 3" coil spacers on my OLD jeep. And I can tell you from my experience, that the ride was horrible. Way worse than stock. It felt the back of a truck bed. Bouncy bouncy bouncy. Even with lowered air pressure and new shocks , on dirt roads my jeep felt like it was jumping all over the dang place.

image-2453019270.jpg

With my current on the cheaper side 2.5" RC coil lift, my ride is 100x better than my old jeep with spacers. Honestly I can't tell the difference between stock coils and these coils when it comes to ride quality.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!

jkrossi

I just installed the 2.5"BB and maintained to factory ride and I'm clearing 35" toyos A/Ts with 1.25 wheel spacers in rear and 1.75" spacers up front with no rubbing at all.
With the 2.5" spring lift you will get more articulation so you might rub on the fenders a little.
I'm not 100% sure but I think if you run anything over a 3" lift is when you run into drive line issues.

Last edited:

jkrossi

you see people who have problems where the spacer falls out on full flex because they don't have the retainers and or, their shocks are too long.

I never understood how people say spacers on stock coils kept a stock ride as adding the spacers to stock coils would compress the springs more causing a very stiff ride.

As you can see in the pic below. I ran 3" coil spacers on my OLD jeep. And I can tell you from my experience, that the ride was horrible. Way worse than stock. It felt the back of a truck bed. Bouncy bouncy bouncy. Even with lowered air pressure and new shocks , on dirt roads my jeep felt like it was jumping all over the dang place

Ok not sure about I agree with this but adding a spacer does not compress the spring anymore than it being with out them. My jeep rides the same as stock since it still is.

And of course if you run to long of a shock on any application your spring or spacer will drop out of the bucket that's a given.

Just so you know I installed the Tera flex 2.5" BB on my 07 jku and the ride did not change and is not compressing the springs any more than when it was stock.

JKBANDIT55

Ok not sure about I agree with this but adding a spacer does not compress the spring anymore than it being with out them. My jeep rides the same as stock since it still is.

And of course if you run to long of a shock on any application your spring or spacer will drop out of the bucket that's a given.

Just so you know I installed the Tera flex 2.5" BB on my 07 jku and the ride did not change and is not compressing the springs any more than when it was stock.

Ya if it works for you then it should work for the OP. Maybe it was because they were 3" instead of 2.5" that made the ride stiffer. I don't see much people using spacers bigger than 2.5" much these days. Maybe the ride quality is the reason. Who knows !

I was just posting my experience which for me was horrible.

jkrossi

Ya if it works for you then it should work for the OP. Maybe it was because they were 3" instead of 2.5" that made the ride stiffer. I don't see much people using spacers bigger than 2.5" much these days. Maybe the ride quality is the reason. Who knows !

I was just posting my experience which for me was horrible.

For sure I hear yuh. Did you have the 3" on a TJ? I'm no pro either but with 3" it could have shorten the wheel base just enough to give you that choppy feel.
My Jk has a nice long wheel base being a four door and just has a smoother ride vs the shorter wheel base.

White_JKU

Ive been running a 2.5 BB for over a year.. (2.5 pucks front and rear) , I wish I just woulda saved up at the beginning and did the full coil.

It will get you by though... Ive out performed much better built rigs with it... driver skill makes up for a lot of lacking in the technology side of things sometimes
Finally putting a real lift together now though. and I agree with some other ppl on this thread.. mine has become very bouncy too... cadillac like..

JethroJK

I appreciate the feedback. I feel that if I just spend the extra I get a solid one piece lift vice pieces on pieces. My fear however is if the new springs push me higher than 2.5 and I have drive train issues.

Now the next question is whether to get a new shock? Was looking at Blisten 5100 setup. Does anyone have those? Also do I just purchase the adjustable track bar or see if it is needed first? I see how this addiction starts to add up. Lol.

JethroJK

So if a person buys a 2.5 inch lift and it raises it 3 inches then what drive line and alignment issues would you expect? Newbie to this and appreciate the feedback. Would it just be the front drive shaft? What about LCAs?

jkrossi

I appreciate the feedback. I feel that if I just spend the extra I get a solid one piece lift vice pieces on pieces. My fear however is if the new springs push me higher than 2.5 and I have drive train issues.

Now the next question is whether to get a new shock? Was looking at Blisten 5100 setup. Does anyone have those? Also do I just purchase the adjustable track bar or see if it is needed first? I see how this addiction starts to add up. Lol.

What yr is your jeep? You don't have to install an adjustable track bar right away with a 2.5" lift. Yes its very addicting. Jeep= just empty every pocket. Lol

jkrossi

So if a person buys a 2.5 inch lift and it raises it 3 inches then what drive line and alignment issues would you expect? Newbie to this and appreciate the feedback. Would it just be the front drive shaft? What about LCAs?

What yr is your jeep? And what transmission? Automatic or manual? A 2.5" lift won't stay at 3" for very long your springs will sag as they break in. I'm also almost 100% sure there will be no drive line issues.

JethroJK

What yr is your jeep? And what transmission? Automatic or manual? A 2.5" lift won't stay at 3" for very long your springs will sag as they break in. I'm also almost 100% sure there will be no drive line issues.

I have a 2012 JKUR with a manual transmission. I was thinking the same thing in regards to the springs breaking in and settling in around 2.5. Thanks for the info.

jkjurny

I have a 2012 JKUR with a manual transmission. I was thinking the same thing in regards to the springs breaking in and settling in around 2.5. Thanks for the info.

This depends on your aftermarket stuff. TF assumes you'll be replacing the plastic bumper with a heavy steel one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have never seen a TF coil lift yield anything less than half an inch or more than what is advertised and that's AFTER the installation of heavy bumpers and a winch. Their coils are firm - very firm.

JethroJK

I have never seen a TF coil lift yield anything less than half an inch or more than what is advertised and that's AFTER the installation of heavy bumpers and a winch. Their coils are firm - very firm.

So if you had the choice between a BB or coil lift from TF what would you recommend and is there any drawbacks to consider? I am leaning towards the 2.5 coil lift vice BB.

Appreciate your response.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if you had the choice between a BB or coil lift from TF what would you recommend and is there any drawbacks to consider? I am leaning towards the 2.5 coil lift vice BB.

Appreciate your response.

I'm not a big fan of TF coils but only because I don't like the way they ride. Of course, ride quality it totally subjective and I would be the first to admit that I don't like a firm ride. Having installed and tested both, I personally would prefer running their coil spacer over their coils as it would guarantee my ride quality would not change, would keep my lift at 2.5" and not more and, assuming you were to run shock extensions or shocks that are short enough, will not cause issues with your front drive shaft.

JethroJK

So should I look elsewhere than TF if I was thinking coils vice spacers? I have no experience with either but spacers just make my mechanical mind cautious over combining pieces with pieces vice a single piece. Ya know?

Top Bottom