WA580 (12+ Auto) Transmission Flush

J

JKDream

Finally getting around to doing this as my transmission has been shifting rather poorly.
It likes to hold a gear until redline, then sit there until I let off the throttle.
Fluid looks dark brown/black so I figured it's probably due.
Dealer wants $300 for the flush, and another $200 to drop the pan and replace the filter.
I figured I'd do this at home, but was wondering if anyone has done this yet - any advice?
I was thinking I would use a siphon through the dipstick port and take out all of the fluid in the pan.
Drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, and then re-fill.
Afterwards, I was going to pull one of the cooler lines and hook up a hose to it, and start the vehicle and shift through the gears.
That should push the remaining fluid out, while I'm up top pouring in the same quantity.
Any issues with this? My only worry is the transmission running dry if I can't match the output flow since the fill port is on such an angle.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Ive dropped the pan and replaced the filter, but haven’t done a full flush myself. Kind of sucked getting the pan out to get to the filter, but it wasn’t too bad. My dealer charges 275 for a flush and new filter, so I did that the 2nd time and much prefer it. They even took off my skids and replaced them with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Ive dropped the pan and replaced the filter, but haven’t done a full flush myself. Kind of sucked getting the pan out to get to the filter, but it wasn’t too bad. My dealer charges 275 for a flush and new filter, so I did that the 2nd time and much prefer it. They even took off my skids and replaced them with no issue.

Wish we could get that kind of service here lol.
How much fluid did you get out when you dropped the pan?
I was thinking I could also go that route, but weld in a drain plug and do a flush over time by re-filling the pan 2-3 times.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Wish we could get that kind of service here lol.
How much fluid did you get out when you dropped the pan?
I was thinking I could also go that route, but weld in a drain plug and do a flush over time by re-filling the pan 2-3 times.

I think it was around 3-4 quarts, it’s been a while. Welding in a drain plug would be a really good idea.

TheGrendel

Repeat after me. Never flush the transmission. Again. Never flush the transmission. Just drop the pan and refill.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Repeat after me. Never flush the transmission. Again. Never flush the transmission. Just drop the pan and refill.

X2. New fluid and filter every 30k miles will keep your 580 happy. It’s a messy job at best w/o a lift. I did it the first time in the garage with just jack stands and let’s say I won’t do it again. I think Jeep purposely designed this service to get me into the dealer. Found a local guy and the cost of $275-$300 seems about right. This is my first Jeep with an auto and so far it’s been great and I think it can easily handle an LS or Hemi. It’s hell for stout. Good luck.

enfielded0405

+1. Most people I know end up with new problems after a “flush”.

When possible I siphon out of the dipstick tube as much as I can to limit what sloshes on me out of the pan. Change filter and refill.

TheGrendel

When possible I siphon out of the dipstick tube as much as I can to limit what sloshes on me out of the pan. Change filter and refill.

yep. all it does is "flush" the bad shit right through the whole system. it's great for the shops and stealerships. just hook up the machine, walk away to do something else but keep that labor charge running.

J

JKDream

yep. all it does is "flush" the bad shit right through the whole system. it's great for the shops and stealerships. just hook up the machine, walk away to do something else but keep that labor charge running.

I was more considering a fluid exchange opposed to a flush I suppose.
Was just going to use the transmission pump to cycle out the old fluid while replacing with new fluid, opposed to a machine that uses pressure to force fluid in the opposite way. My main concern with draining the pan, is leaving all of the black fluid still in the torque converter.
I might just end up going the route above with a drain plug welded in.

When you all did your filter/pan replacements, did you notice any improvements in shifting?

enfielded0405

I did not. But I had no issues going in. How many miles on the current fluid. Burnt fluid to me would lead me to believe you have other problems. At a minimum sounds like you need a trans cooler.

rogerk93

I dropped my transmission pan and changed the filter and fluid that way (5quarts). To get full access to all the bolts you have to remove your crossmember but it is a fairly easy process. The few people I know over the years to flush their transmission came across issues afterward, so I would just do a fluid change if I was you.

scudaaa

You should buy these components at a distributor and then take them to the nearest repair shop, it's much cheaper and safer than repairing yourself without expertise. Last month, I bought a gearbox from a xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and took it to the nearest repair shop, the price was much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
You should buy these components at a distributor and then take them to the nearest repair shop, it's much cheaper and safer than repairing yourself without expertise. Last month, I bought a gearbox from a xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and took it to the nearest repair shop, the price was much cheaper.

That's a really cool story. Even 2 and a half years later. The OP has likely been waiting in the garage next to his Jeep for an answer like this.

Top Bottom