Alignment issues

dis_dis

Banned
So after my first offroading trip, my Jeep started pulling slightly to the left. I also noticed that now when I turn the wheel all the way to the left it kind of springs back to center when I let go of it and this doesn't happen when I turn all the way to the right(to the right it kind of starts turning back slowly but doesnt spring all the way immediately). It is also easier to turn it all the way to the right than the left, there is some resistance when turning to the left(all the way). Also it seems like when I am driving the steering wheel moves a little to the left and to the right, I don't think this was happening before the wheeling trip :). And this morning in the garage I was just driving it slowly in straight line without touching the wheel to see how bad it pulls to the left and noticed that the wheel kind of went left-right a little and then straightened itself kind of like if I went over a pot hole or a bump but there was nothing on the pavement.

I also found out yesterday that my tie-rod sleeves are frozen and the local tire shop couldn't get them to move to do an alignment, not sure if related to the wheel acting weird issue.
I did notice that there is a small skid-mark on the tie rod but it doesn't seem bent or anything ...
I am thinking about getting an aftermarket tie-rod like the one Rock Krawler has, just not sure if all the issues are related to the tie rod.
Any thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked your steering stabilizer? What you just described sounds a lot like one that has a slight bend in the shaft or a damaged can that is effecting the valve. If you hit your tie rod, it's very likely that you hit it too. Also, even though you can't see your tie rod bent, I would bet that it is and you would be able to see this by taking a toe-in measurement. Regarding the adjuster collar, soak it in some PB blaster and then if necessary, heat it up with a torch. That should help. Aside from that, you can check/adjust your toe yourself by following this write-up:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

dis_dis

Banned
I just went to the garage to check the stabilizer again. I saw that the clamp that attaches it to the tie rod has moved about an inch to the left, here is a picture:

20130306_101617_resized.jpg

I also kind of looked it over and it doesn't seem bent, took a couple of pictures of it:

20130306_101650_resized.jpg ... 20130306_101701_resized.jpg ... 20130306_101734_resized.jpg

Do you think that the clamp moving to the left and perhaps extending too much the stabilizer could be the issue?
Awesome DIY article btw I think I might give it a go later :) ...

dis_dis

Banned
lol just noticed that the skid marks on the rod are about an inch and a half to the left of the red arrow :hmm:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You wouldn't need to see a bend in order for there to be one and enough to effect your steering. The fact that your clamp has moved is very telling. At the very least, I would try to make small steps and reposition it to see if that makes a difference. Being that you have a Fox SS, that alone would cause a push or a pull in your steering if there were a change in its pressure.

dis_dis

Banned
Thank you Eddie,
I will start with the clamp first and take it from there. :thankyou:
I just hope I don't have to buy a new stabilizer, this one is a little over a month old :sigh:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Being that you have a Fox SS, that alone would cause a push or a pull in your steering if there were a change in its pressure.

Is this something that is only related to the Fox SS or would any SS have the same issue?:idontknow:

The reason I ask is because I think my SS has had a leak for a while now and I have not replaced it yet. Just curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this something that is only related to the Fox SS or would any SS have the same issue?:idontknow:

The reason I ask is because I think my SS has had a leak for a while now and I have not replaced it yet. Just curious.

Any gas charged SS will have a push. Factory or old school hydro units will not.

silverbackjk

Any gas charged SS will have a push. Factory or old school hydro units will not.

I was convinced to by a fox gas SS. The worst waste of money ever. Pushes to the left the whole time driving cant take my hands off the wheel. Just get a hydro unit and save some coin.

dis_dis

Banned
I was convinced to by a fox gas SS. The worst waste of money ever. Pushes to the left the whole time driving cant take my hands off the wheel. Just get a hydro unit and save some coin.

Mine wasn't pushing at all prior to going off-road and it felt better than stock. I hope I can get it fixed to where it doesn't push anymore ...

jkrossi

What is the purpose of using a gas charged stearing stabilizer? To me that doesn't sound right since the shock wants to push all the time. Please inform me on why a gas charged shock would be used.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is the purpose of using a gas charged stearing stabilizer? To me that doesn't sound right since the shock wants to push all the time. Please inform me on why a gas charged shock would be used.

Nothing really. I prefer factory 2010 or newer stabilizers myself even with 37" tires.

TheDuff

Reposition the clamp to where u had it. If the ss is currently causing the pull then that should fix your issue. My fox ss felt better than stock to me and I had no odd pull with it either, even after a couple wheeling trips (I did however have a bad shimming from track bar bolts loosening up). But when I left tds I found I have a pull now. I'm gonna see if my ss clamp moved at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

ttfhell

Reposition the clamp to where u had it. If the ss is currently causing the pull then that should fix your issue. My fox ss felt better than stock to me and I had no odd pull with it either, even after a couple wheeling trips (I did however have a bad shimming from track bar bolts loosening up). But when I left tds I found I have a pull now. I'm gonna see if my ss clamp moved at all.

Drive faster Brandon!

TheDuff

Yea, that doesn't work for me yet;) I know exactly what wash the hit occurred on and its your fault Russ! I'm sue'ing!!!! :p

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: Too funny. I guess that's what I get for trying to help people out :crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked
:cheesy: Too funny. I guess that's what I get for trying to help people out :crazyeyes:

Damn it Eddie! Always trying to help people. Acting is if you've ran multiple different companies parts and equipment over many years of wheeling. Showing us cool places you've visited with great pics and vids. Always putting together fun runs and meet-ups. What are you; some kinda knows a lot about Jeeps, off roading, and (wait for it...) the Wayalife? :crazyeyes: I can probably speak for most when I say thanks for the hard work and never backing down. One can only imagine what your PM inbox looks like...haha. Keep it up.

Top Bottom