Good winch?

Tabers

Hey everyone! I am in the market to strat looking at Winches. I dont do a lot of hard core offroading, but still need to have one just incase I get into a pinch on the trail. Where we wheel there is a lot of mud and getting stuck is just part of it ... my question is ... What is a good Winch (brand and Load range) with out dropping a arm and a leg on it? I would like to stay around the 400$ mark if at all possible, that $ isnt set in stone but its what i have now to spend on it. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Tabers

Tabers

thanks ... looks liek a nice winch ... is 8k enough? i know my jeep is only around 4k ....

Dixon4x4

thanks ... looks liek a nice winch ... is 8k enough? i know my jeep is only around 4k ....

I would recommend the 10,000 especially if you plan on after market bumpers and stuff. From experience I have found that you generally want to get double what the weight of your vehicle is. If you check around you can find Warn winches with a rebate or on sale. I managed to find a VR 10,000 with a $150 rebate, so it only cost me $490 when I got it 2 years ago. I got it with steel cable and have since upgraded to the synthetic line to take some weight off and for safer use.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

general rule of thumb is to double the weight of the vehichle its being used on. A 10K is nice...but an 8K will definitely get the job done(esp a warn :thumb: )

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I have the Warn VR 10,000 I love the winch, it does its job but Im gonna down size later on and get the Power plant dual force winch. :yup:

MTNBKR

Give the Mile Maker series a look. I have it on mine at 12.5k and love it.
Good luck in with which ever one you choose.

Jersey_Devil

Definitely recommend a Warn.... I run the warn XD9000i and love it! But if ur on a budget, then go on ebay and look up "robo winch" i got one for my dad and recommend PJF14 to buy one and just did. $275!

1BAMFR

Warn 1000000%

I run the VR10,000.....works awesome, i have used it alot too.

I have been on the trails and seen/used other peoples cheap ass winches, I think one was a Smittybuilt and the other was a rugged ridge.........JUNK.....the free spool was non-existent, and the lever that moves from lock to free spool was rusted in the lock position.

Not even sure if they are water proof.

combolc

Hey everyone! I am in the market to strat looking at Winches. I dont do a lot of hard core offroading, but still need to have one just incase I get into a pinch on the trail. Where we wheel there is a lot of mud and getting stuck is just part of it ... my question is ... What is a good Winch (brand and Load range) with out dropping a arm and a leg on it? I would like to stay around the 400$ mark if at all possible, that $ isnt set in stone but its what i have now to spend on it. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Tabers

I have a Quadratec q9000 it was inexpensive and great for an occasional use winch...

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Is there a major issue with mounting a winch upside down? Im looking at a sealed winch to keep submersion less of a worry. I dont forde much being in AZ, but there are places it may be necessary. I want to hide it inside the stock bumper. I would mount it properly, but it will stick out the top too much and if I can get away with it, I dont want to cut the cross member. Will I have issues with the winch pulling differently? I plan on mounting the selenoid under the hood.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Top Bottom