I'm upset with rust

Sunset83

So I took these pictures and sent to Chrysler. My jeep has 4,300 miles on it. The stealership says we live in a salt state. Salt for roads and the beach. I said ive taken my jeep to the beach approximately 4 times and it snowed maybe 3 times this past winter. He said companies don't under coat like they use to. Well my KIA, in 2016 had a recall and I got a new free under coating done. I getting upset over nothing???

sunset83

BaddestCross

So I took these pictures and sent to Chrysler. My jeep has 4,300 miles on it. The stealership says we live in a salt state. Salt for roads and the beach. I said ive taken my jeep to the beach approximately 4 times and it snowed maybe 3 times this past winter. He said companies don't under coat like they use to. Well my KIA, in 2016 had a recall and I got a new free under coating done. I getting upset over nothing???

sunset83
Saltwater in the air causes it too. Where do you live?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Sunset83

I live on the eastern shore of Maryland, I cant imagine in less than year, it had rust already.

sunset83

MDK210

Maryland = high humidity, snow, salt which all has to be a perfect storm for rust. I always thought those undercoating sprays were just something dealers sold first time car buyers. I’d have to say it’s the nature of the beast. I’ve lived on the Eastcoast and Mid West and have never heard anyone getting a free “rust spray”. Unless you clean the rust off first then spray using whatever it is then it won’t do much good. Sounds like Kia might have just be trying to appease you but doubt they did anything. I could be wrong though, of course how many cars have rust in the US...if there was a magic spray everyone would want it.

Best way to remove salt is just hose down your car chassis 1 or 2 a month during winter.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Underbody treatments do work but they have to be maintained. The fleet I manage has a couple of vehicles that live on Fraser Island. They never leave the beach and only get washed with bore water. Without rust proofing they fall apart in 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
My 2016 had rust before I drove it off the lot with under 50 miles on it. Rust sucks but it’s totally normal for my location. Living on an island surrounded by salt water and it rains acid because of the volcano. Just gotta treat it when you see it and keep up with maintenance.

Brute

Hooked
My 2016 had rust before I drove it off the lot with under 50 miles on it. Rust sucks but it’s totally normal for my location. Living on an island surrounded by salt water and it rains acid because of the volcano. Just gotta treat it when you see it and keep up with maintenance.

I watched my series 2 Land Rover's frame collapse from all the beach fishing trips back in the 80's between Sandy Beach, Allen Davis & Makua Beach...welcome to the 🌴 islands...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I watched my series 2 Land Rover's frame collapse from all the beach fishing trips back in the 80's between Sandy Beach, Allen Davis & Makua Beach...welcome to the [emoji267] islands...

Lol. Yup. Living here definitely has its disadvantages. But I think all rust can be dealt with if you catch it early and treat it correctly. Once it gets out of control, it’s done.

While I think the undercoating from the dealership helps, it’s not a fix all system. Speaking of that, whoever sprayed my undercoating also sprayed my rear driveshaft which I think threw it off balance. Now that I regeard I’m having all kinds of crazy vibes I can’t track down.... but that’s another topic.

My 2 cents to the OP, if you have rust, I would just treat it and maintain it. It will be there regardless if you have undercoating or not, especially if you live in a salty environment. Rust will find a way. Stay on it with maintenance and treatment and you should be fine.

DannyD

Gotta love rust! All you can really do is maintain it best you can to stay ahead of it. It's going to happen out here on the east coast no matter what you do...

JDDK

simple solution: $20 for a hudson sprayer from your hardware store. fill sprayer with used motor oil at each change interval. pump and spray liberally entire under carriage and frame. works well and pays for the investment on first coating!

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just like the Hawaii guys, back in Puerto Rico it was the same, rust is a part of life, clean paint and maintain.

Sunset83

Maryland = high humidity, snow, salt which all has to be a perfect storm for rust. I always thought those undercoating sprays were just something dealers sold first time car buyers. I’d have to say it’s the nature of the beast. I’ve lived on the Eastcoast and Mid West and have never heard anyone getting a free “rust spray”. Unless you clean the rust off first then spray using whatever it is then it won’t do much good. Sounds like Kia might have just be trying to appease you but doubt they did anything. I could be wrong though, of course how many cars have rust in the US...if there was a magic spray everyone would want it.

Best way to remove salt is just hose down your car chassis 1 or 2 a month during winter.
No its sprayed on before rust develops,

sunset83

Top Bottom