JKU LS Conversion?

I'm not anywhere near doing this yet but when I do I'd like to do it myself. That way if something goes bad, I'll know how to fix it, I also think it would be a great experience. My question to you guys is if anyone has just bought a crate LS3 Corvette Engine from GM and installed it in their JK? I am also interested in what all I would need to buy to make it happen? Any person that has done something like this, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

Bierpower

Hooked
I sent them my Jeep PCM, Chevy ECM, TCM and wiring harness. I'm waiting now to get all of the mounts and hard parts. They said it should be a couple more weeks for the electrical stuff. When parts start coming in I'll have a better idea of what I'll need. I was going to try and keep a detailed list but because I have a 2007 LS their are a few extra things I have to do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

You don’t really have to do a LS swap to know how to fix any of it. It’s just an engine and trans, with some electronics you’ll never understand thrown in the mix.

Crate engines, in my opinion, are a waste of money. That statement is one that I’m sure some experts will jump in and argue with.

You need to buy a kit from someone that sells LS swaps for JK’s. They will give you some of the parts and tell you what to buy from there. What they won’t tell you is everything. There’s some lessons you’ll learn the hard way.

LS swaps into JK’s aren’t cheap even if you do it yourself and if someone tells you it is, I wouldn’t ride far with them. Plan on being down for a while too while you figure it all out because no matter what you think, you won’t be prepared. I’m not trying to scare you off from it, I’m telling you a true story.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
My question to you guys is if anyone has just bought a crate LS3 Corvette Engine from GM and installed it in their JK?

I've seen a few swaps with Vette motors and wondered why in the world would you use that version of an LS? I mean if fast lap times are what you're after have at it (and good luck), but you'd be much better off with a motor out of a truck/tahoe/escalade, etc because of the torque characteristics of that version.

I'm surprised that someone isn't offering a hotted up version of the 3.6. As many JK's that are out there and as much money is being spent on them, you would think a 350-400hp version would be a pretty popular upgrade. There's still going to be guys that want/need the V8 (driving through the mountains in Colorado convinced me of this), but for guys like me with 37's, an extra 50-100 hp would be tits with no hassle and a helluva lot less expense.

Exodus 4x4

I've seen a few swaps with Vette motors and wondered why in the world would you use that version of an LS? I mean if fast lap times are what you're after have at it (and good luck), but you'd be much better off with a motor out of a truck/tahoe/escalade, etc because of the torque characteristics of that version.

It’s nothing more than bragging, and costs way too much money. You can get a crate truck engine too so the argument for warranty purposes isn’t true. Funny thing is, REAL performance guys will tell you the crate LS3’s available are a gimmick. They can be had in 3 power versions and literally the only difference between them is a cheap cam, but GM doesn’t mind charging you a couple grand more for their hottest version. What’s even funnier about that is they build them with those parts, not change them out...

I’ll be adding a thread soon showing off the builds I’ve been doing and the latest one you’ll recognize. I built a L96 truck motor with a Tooley cam and Kooks long tube headers. We tuned it on the dyno to 500hp/480tq and spent no where near the amount of money anyone would spend on the LS3 version of that power ranger. It’s pretty fun to drive too. I’ll be building an exact version of it for a TJ swap that’s starting soon.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
There really isn’t much of a difference when you look at an LS short block out of a corvette and a ls short block out of a truck. They are pretty much the same. Where it gets difference is in the cam specs, the heads, and the intake. The vette top end is for HP where the truck top end is more for peak torque. Just depends on how you wanna build it

So I guess I should rewind and decide what exactly I want the Jeep for and get some recommendations from you guys on what the heart of the Jeep should be. I'll be driving a car until the roads start to get bad and then I'll be driving the Jeep because I now live in Minnesota and don't trust the front-wheel drive Taurus. So basically, the Jeep will be needed for highway travel mostly but will also be driven around town on the weekends. I also plan on taking a few trips to Colorado or Utah for some trails. (will most likely tow it over there though).

Exodus 4x4

So I guess I should rewind and decide what exactly I want the Jeep for and get some recommendations from you guys on what the heart of the Jeep should be. I'll be driving a car until the roads start to get bad and then I'll be driving the Jeep because I now live in Minnesota and don't trust the front-wheel drive Taurus. So basically, the Jeep will be needed for highway travel mostly but will also be driven around town on the weekends. I also plan on taking a few trips to Colorado or Utah for some trails. (will most likely tow it over there though).

Honestly a LS swap is more about making that JK with 40’s more enjoyable as a daily driver.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I'm surprised that someone isn't offering a hotted up version of the 3.6. As many JK's that are out there and as much money is being spent on them, you would think a 350-400hp version would be a pretty popular upgrade. There's still going to be guys that want/need the V8 (driving through the mountains in Colorado convinced me of this), but for guys like me with 37's, an extra 50-100 hp would be tits with no hassle and a helluva lot less expense.

If you want 50-100hp get a supercharger.

:crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked

Yeah our Durango R/T has 360hp. That's 75 more than our Jeep. It has plenty of get up. I'm surprised they don't offer a Wrangler in an R/T or SRT. I mean after all they do have the Cherokee SRT and Trackhawk..haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Yeah our Durango R/T has 360hp. That's 75 more than our Jeep. It has plenty of get up. I'm surprised they don't offer a Wrangler in an R/T or SRT. I mean after all they do have the Cherokee SRT and Trackhawk..haha

Technology is winning out. The 8 speed on the 3.6 is a good example. How many people would actually buy a SRT Wrangler? Not enough to justify building them. Good CEO’s know that and if the Wrangler market is doing just fine without it then why change it.

jesse3638

Hooked
Technology is winning out. The 8 speed on the 3.6 is a good example. How many people would actually buy a SRT Wrangler? Not enough to justify building them. Good CEO’s know that and if the Wrangler market is doing just fine without it then why change it.

Very true. Guess it'd be one of those "Look at this!" limited production vehicles.

Top Bottom