I'm about to do my first ever spark plugs!

KeroJK

So I'm doing spark plugs and wires on a 3.8 and as always I need your help!

Any thoughts on the Bosch double iridium?
Any tips on how I should go about routing the wires behind the engine??
I'm letting the engine cool, do I have to discconect the battery?

I don't have dielectric grease for the wires, can I use normal multipurpose grease or should I wait to get dielectric, also can I do just the spark plugs today and take care of the wires when I get dielectric grease?

When I remove each spark plug can I use a little bit of compressed air to spray down the area its in?

I know the passenger side plugs are easier to reach from under the fenders but it still seems annoying, any other tips?

Thank you and any tips to teach my poor ass are welcome. Thought this would be easy but suspension work seems easier. 1532980870345.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BaddestCross

Here's a great write-up that Eddie did...
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/7347-Jeep-JK-2007-2011-Spark-Plugs-and-Ignition-Wires-Write-Up

OEM Champion plugs have been found to be the best replacement. Use dielectric grease. If you're worried about debris in the plug area, use a vacuum not a blow gun. You don't want anything falling into the cylinder. In fact, do that before you remove the plugs if it's a concern.

The only plug that's really tough to get to is the passenger side at the firewall, but even that one is fine with a long extension and a wobble socket or u-joint.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

KeroJK

Great info!!! Thank you so much I used air before I removed the plug and nothing is there everything blew out but it was very minimal anyways. Also I'm still under return policy, should I go for the champs or should the Bosh be okay?

BaddestCross

Great info!!! Thank you so much I used air before I removed the plug and nothing is there everything blew out but it was very minimal anyways. Also I'm still under return policy, should I go for the champs or should the Bosh be okay?

I can't recall if there was anything specifically wrong with them, but I'm sure they cost a hell of a lot more than the Champions for no additional benefit.

Search the forum for spark plugs recommendations and there are a few threads that discuss.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Thetatheta322

I used the Bosch platinum iridium with new wires and I'm happy with it. Didn't use the dielectric grease, but I'll fix that this weekend. Got the plugs on sale, so the price didn't bother me. I do believe there were slight improvements in performance, but that could all be in my head, or just that it got a tune up... Either way, it was an interesting experience replacing them all solo for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

dillard09

I know one thing that helped me out alot when I did my plugs was to take off the front tire and then set the front axle on jack stands as low as I could get it. Made it easier to access the engine bay.

12-mile

I did mine about two years ago and followed Eddie’s writeup, used the Champions and mopar wires and also bought the wire hanger too. Its plastic and the old one breaks pretty easily cause its just old and brittle.
Anyway, follow the writeup and you’ll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Make sure you check if the plugs are gapped correctly. I bought pre gapped plugs from the dealer and still had to adjust to correct gap

KeroJK

Make sure you check if the plugs are gapped correctly. I bought pre gapped plugs from the dealer and still had to adjust to correct gap
As far as my knowledge goes, you can't gap mine at all.

Top Bottom