VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Help Your JL Wrangler Breathe Better Again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Changing out your air filter and on a regular basis is one of the best things you can do to help keep your Jeep JL Wrangler breathing in clean fresh air. Of course, it'll also go a long way to help give it better fuel economy, reduce emissions, improve acceleration and of course, prolonging the life of your engine. Fortunately, this is something that anyone can do, in just a few minutes and this short video, will show you how.

What You Will Need
• Mopar Air Filter - Part# 68257030AA
• Philips Screw Driver
• 8mm Socket
• Ratchet
• Long Ratchet Extension

I hope that you find our quick tip on how why you should change out your Jeep JL Wrangler's air filter and how to do it to be helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

jesse3638

Hooked
Looks simple enough. No more clips and the new filter looks better than the one in my 2012 JK. Maybe motor replacements drove them to change and use a better design...:crazyeyes:. Thanks for sharing. How many miles were on your filter and how often do you typically change them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks simple enough. No more clips and the new filter looks better than the one in my 2012 JK. Maybe motor replacements drove them to change and use a better design...:crazyeyes:. Thanks for sharing. How many miles were on your filter and how often do you typically change them?

Oh yeah, the JL filter is WAY NICER than what the JK had. There are way more pleats and the filter element seems to do a much better job of holding back dirt. I'm pretty pleased with it. I had about 11,000 miles on this one but had been meaning to replace it about 3,000 miles ago - just been way too busy. As far as how often I change mine goes, it really depends on the kind of conditions I've been in. Fortunately, Cindy and I are typically leading packs and so we see a lot less dust and under those situations, maybe once every 15,000. Recently, we've been in heavy dust conditions either helping at races or following a friend on a trip and so I really wanted to get this done a lot sooner.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video! Is there a reason you do not use a reusable filter like a k&n?

Reusable high flow filters are great on cars but allow way too much dirt to pass into the engine. I would NOT recommend one if you spend a lot of time in the dust like we do.

jesse3638

Hooked
Oh I had no idea about that! Good to know [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We had a 2012 RAM 2500 Diesel here at work and someone put a FRAM filter in it and it actually was getting sucked into the motor. I did not know and when I dropped it off at the dealer for a regeneration programming fix the service tech pulled it out and showed me. It was crazy just how much air those motors move. She then informed me that using any other filters (fuel, oil, air) besides Mopar would void the warranty should the motor fail. That would be about a 25K repair bill. Have been using Mopar filters in my Jeep ever since.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dealerships have been known to void warranties for using them. Some have shown to let more dirt and debris through than the OEM filters.

Yup. This and I have personally seen people have their engines ruined from using them - even a dealer installed Mopar one. They are nothing but bad news on a Jeep.

jesse3638

Hooked
Oh yeah, the JL filter is WAY NICER than what the JK had. There are way more pleats and the filter element seems to do a much better job of holding back dirt. I'm pretty pleased with it. I had about 11,000 miles on this one but had been meaning to replace it about 3,000 miles ago - just been way too busy. As far as how often I change mine goes, it really depends on the kind of conditions I've been in. Fortunately, Cindy and I are typically leading packs and so we see a lot less dust and under those situations, maybe once every 15,000. Recently, we've been in heavy dust conditions either helping at races or following a friend on a trip and so I really wanted to get this done a lot sooner.

Yeah makes sense. I typically change mine at every other oil change (I change my oil every 4k because of time not mileage) or after a dusty trip or two. Kind of like the Whiskey Wanderlust...haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah makes sense. I typically change mine at every other oil change (I change my oil every 4k because of time not mileage) or after a dusty trip or two. Kind of like the Whiskey Wanderlust...haha

I should note that on Moby, we still have a high flow filter being that we can't run a factory filter. For him, I clean out his filter every other oil change under normal conditions. I clean it every oil change if we're in the dust a lot. Even then, I find some dust in the air tube - I hate it.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Reusable high flow filters are great on cars but allow way too much dirt to pass into the engine. I would NOT recommend one if you spend a lot of time in the dust like we do.

We had a 2012 RAM 2500 Diesel here at work and someone put a FRAM filter in it and it actually was getting sucked into the motor. I did not know and when I dropped it off at the dealer for a regeneration programming fix the service tech pulled it out and showed me. It was crazy just how much air those motors move. She then informed me that using any other filters (fuel, oil, air) besides Mopar would void the warranty should the motor fail. That would be about a 25K repair bill. Have been using Mopar filters in my Jeep ever since.

Yup. This and I have personally seen people have their engines ruined from using them - even a dealer installed Mopar one. They are nothing but bad news on a Jeep.

Looks like I’ll be getting a mopar filter soon [emoji51] thanks for the heads up!

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Help Your JL Wrangler Breath Better Again

I should note that on Moby, we still have a high flow filter being that we can't run a factory filter. For him, I clean out his filter every other oil change under normal conditions. I clean it every oil change if we're in the dust a lot. Even then, I find some dust in the air tube - I hate it.

Eddie have you tried running an Outerwear over Moby’s filter they help quite lot with the fine dust. I agree with you on running a OEM filter.

Andy5160

Hooked
I love the intro [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]super awesome [emoji41]. Great write up and I do see that in the near future [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] IMG_0065.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie have you tried running an Outerwear over Moby’s filter they help quite lot with the fine dust. I agree with you on running a OEM filter.

Oh yeah, we've always run a filter sock and for a time, a foam pre-filter as well. I've since moved away from an oil filter and have been running a dry flow and that seemed to help out.

Top Bottom