Radio working intermittently

DiggaDon

I have a 2012 jk, and my radio is working intermittently.

It retains the time, all the stations, but it won't display the volume. It doesn't even display the volume control going up or down when I turn the knob. It's not that it is playing and I can't turn the volume up or down, it just simply doesn't display and no sound comes out. I've tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, that hasn't worked, oddly though, if I let the jeep sit over the weekend or a long period of time, I can turn it on and the radio will work fine. Once it is working, it's fine until I turn the Jeep off again, rinse and repeat.

Any ideas?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 jk, and my radio is working intermittently.

It retains the time, all the stations, but it won't display the volume. It doesn't even display the volume control going up or down when I turn the knob. It's not that it is playing and I can't turn the volume up or down, it just simply doesn't display and no sound comes out. I've tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, that hasn't worked, oddly though, if I let the jeep sit over the weekend or a long period of time, I can turn it on and the radio will work fine. Once it is working, it's fine until I turn the Jeep off again, rinse and repeat.

Any ideas?

Have you pulled the radio out and checked the wiring harness behind it? My best guess would be a loose wire or a short somewhere.

J

JKDream

Have you pulled the radio out and checked the wiring harness behind it? My best guess would be a loose wire or a short somewhere.
Mine was doing the same thing, when I pulled it out the factory harness seemed to have wiggled loose. Since I had the dash apart I replaced it, but I just had the shitty 130N or whatever it was called.

**Should probably add I did test it before replacing, it was indeed the connector that came loose.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmac08JK

What type of media player are you using apple or android , my radio did that. I went to the dealer and the radio just need a software update.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I just went through this but mine was a result of getting soaked in the rain. All controls (both steering and radio) worked fine. Stations, memory settings, etc all worked but volume wouldn’t. Tried disconnecting the battery which would allow me to actually see the volume setting for a brief moment before nothing. I ended up having to replace the head unit after tearing it apart to check the harness and try to dry it out further. Be aware if you pick up a used stick unit you will need the anti theft code or spend a lot of time running all the possible combos. Ask me because I know 😔

Top Bottom