Minimum lift required for "good" articulation on 35" tires?

sm31

I am sorry to use such vague generalities as "good" but I wasn't sure how else to pose my question(s). And this has probably been covered many times but results evaded my crappy search skills.

We recently purchased a 2011 JKUR and I'm challenged to keep the lift height as low as possible for 3 reasons... or maybe just 2 depending on perspective. 1) my wife is vertically challenged. 2) Living in AK involves living with a lot of ice, and my wife doesn't relish the idea of "hopping" out of the jeep and onto her @ss in the parking lot. And, 3) I really don't want to add a slider that incorporates some sort of step that is lower than the slider itself so that it hangs on all the rocks, stumps, salmon carcasses, etc.

Wheeling habits & particulars:
Wheeling in AK involves a mix of mud, rocks, snow, and even tundra. I've been on several of the same trails they covered in JKX with my TJ, so I am planning for a similar level of difficulty. Wheel back spacing... probably 4.5" because that is what the beadlocks I'm looking at come in. Tires will likely be siped Cooper ST Maxx, 315/70/17. Also planning to trim fenders, pinch seams, etc. as much as possible.

Questions:
1) I really want the EVO plush rides but I can't see that they go less than 3". Does EVO make a 2.5" spring? I don't think so but I wanted to confirm. I know the difference is small but every little bit counts given the political situation ("Honey, these are only 2.5 inch springs...").
2) If I do find a good spring in the 2.5" range, can I achieve a reasonable (vague again! I'm sorry!) level of articulation or will I have to add a lot of bumpstop to eliminate rubbing?

Or maybe I just need to do the 3 inch plush rides and try to sell her on the superior ride quality... :hmm:

Thanks for reading!!

MDK210

Minimum to run stock fenders with 35"'s for "good" articulation is 2.5" lift and you still might want aftermarket fender flares. Full articulation with stock fenders would be 3.5" lift IMO.

Last edited:

sm31

Minimum to run stock fenders with 35"'s for "good" articulation is 2.5" lift and you stillight want aftermarket fender flares. Full articulation with stock fenders would be 3.5" lift IMO.

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply! Do these values apply to trimmed stock fenders as well?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Minimum to run stock fenders with 35"'s for "good" articulation is 2.5" lift and you stillight want aftermarket fender flares. Full articulation with stock fenders would be 3.5" lift IMO.

I articulate with 35's on 2.5 inches with my stock fenders just fine...

MDK210

I articulate with 35's on 2.5 inches with my stock fenders just fine...

Without knowing how much articulation the OP wants it's hard to say what's the correct response. Results may vary is probably more appropriate for this topic.

sm31

Without knowing how much articulation the OP wants it's hard to say what's the correct response. Results may vary is probably more appropriate for this topic.

That was the hard part for me to describe. Unfortunately, I don't have numbers...

Maybe bumpstop would be the best way to describe it. "At worst" I would like to add 2.5" of bumpstop for a 2.5" lift. I would really prefer to add less bumpstop than lift but that may be pie-in-the-sky.

sm31

They make shoes for ice now. Buy her a pair and lift it!

LOL... seriously! She's got the ice trekkers but "they make marks on my shoes" and she doesn't wear them consistently. The ice here has us both a little freaked out though. Winters were plenty harsh in Wyoming so we're used to -30 & snow but this ice thing sucks. We didn't hardly get any of that back in the cowboy state.

LOL... seriously! She's got the ice trekkers but "they make marks on my shoes" and she doesn't wear them consistently. The ice here has us both a little freaked out though. Winters were plenty harsh in Wyoming so we're used to -30 & snow but this ice thing sucks. We didn't hardly get any of that back in the cowboy state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_eLjh0jrE

Lol good luck finding your lift. Most things in 2” size are hockey puck spacer lifts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I would say go with the 3 inch lift and some grabars, so she can hold on while getting out lol that’s what my wife does. We also have the LoD signature series sliders that we use as a step

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0068.JPG

I’m happy with my budget boost. Seems to flex pretty well

2016 JK Rubicon
315 70 17 BFG AT ko2
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA