Painting the hard top white?

It was 114 here recently and the inside of the roof right above my head was almost too hot to touch with the back of my hand. So I am looking for ways to help cool it down inside. I already have the materials for making an insulated head liner, but was also looking at the enormous black solar collector that is the roof of my JKU. Has any one here painted their roof white? If so what did you find. Was it much cooler?

Steve

MDK210

It might make a little difference but personally I think the effort outweighs the benefit. Headliner and ceramic tint (ceramic is key) would be the most beneficial. Not to mention if your Jeep is white it will look like a washing machine IMO.

ninemmbill

Living in Las Vegas we get almost as hot as Phoenix so I know what you're talking about. The right window tint helps (don't forget to do the front windshield) so does the Hotheadz or Mopar headliner kits. But even if you park in the shade outside it seems like interior temps rise beyond belief so I doubt that painting the top would help much.

jpone

Just did a satin finish white wrap on rooftop. Surface temps are way lower than black roof now. Wrap is less costly than paint. Will report back with results
Heading to Cali desert next week.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would think a white top would help keep the Jeep cooler for longer because it would reflect solar radiation that would otherwise be absorbed. That said, a Jeep parked in 100 degree heat for a few hours is going to get hot no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom