E brake adjustment help

desertrunner

So I'm trying to adjust my damn e brake and for some reason I'm not getting it right. I have followed 2 different write ups and still cant get it.

So I crank up the star adjuster (clockwise driver counter clockwise passenger) and when I do that the drum is spread too far apart for me to get the rotor back on. I back off the star adjuster enough to get the rotor back on and it still won't hold the jeep on a slight incline. Am I missing something? Any reason why when I crank up the star adjuster I cant get the rotor back on?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
The shoes move when you adjust them so the rotor won’t go back on until you tap the shoes back into place. Try using the rotor on an angle to knock the shoes into alignment

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I find it easier to adjust them from the back with just the caliper removed but the rotor still on. Adjust it till they lock then back off a couple of turns

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I’ve always adjusted them while on the vehicle? Just have it up in the air make sure to spin the tire and check how much drag if any you have.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
So I'm trying to adjust my damn e brake and for some reason I'm not getting it right. I have followed 2 different write ups and still cant get it.

So I crank up the star adjuster (clockwise driver counter clockwise passenger) and when I do that the drum is spread too far apart for me to get the rotor back on. I back off the star adjuster enough to get the rotor back on and it still won't hold the jeep on a slight incline. Am I missing something? Any reason why when I crank up the star adjuster I cant get the rotor back on?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

To start, I would make sure that the cable is free and returns as it should. It helps to have everything removed including the rotors and shoes to make sure nothing is limiting the travel. Make sure the springs are returning the cable and shoe lever to the fully retracted position.

Next, install the shoes and test them. Again make sure the springs return the shoes to the fully retracted position.

Adjust the star wheel so the shoes are all the way in. Install the rotor and adjust the star wheel through the backing plate until they have drag. Cycle the brake to center the shoes in the rotor and check for drag. Adjust again if needed as you want a little drag.

Re-assemble the bracket, pads, caliper and wheel. Test function and adjust tighter if needed. A little drag is ok and will dissipate on its own as the shoe wears.

If you do all this and they still don’t grip good, the shoe might not be making good or full contact with the rotor. I’ve seen this with new shoes. A trick to increase the contact area is to lightly engage the brake and drive a block or so. This will wear the high spots down on the shoes thus increasing the contact area. You might need to adjust the star wheel again if you choose to do this.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom