What is this!! Need help

JK&Beyond

Elementary school pencil sharpener is what it looks like. haha jk.

That is where your distributor needs to be. The adapter connected to it is the ignition coil. So your looking at a lack of a distributor. Obviously this is vital to running the engine as your spark plugs are directly connected to this component and times the ignition of gas within the cylinder to get combustion and therefore power the engine. Without this, no go. This system looks nearly identical on a YJ. Heres mine, with the orange being the oil filter and yours is white.

Pic 1: What it looks WITH a distributor and hooked up wires. Overhead view.jpg

Pic 2: Pointing at spark plug wire (runs from distributor to spark plugs). Spark Plug wire.jpg

Pic 3: Pointing at distributor cap.
Distributor cap.jpg

You can buy a complete assembly here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/p...02,55102+603,55102+604,55102+605&h=&spg=t&cv=

Hope this helps you my friend. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

jhires

This pick from above or below?

If this is on a 4.0L engine and the pic is from the top, I'd say it is your distributor, and it's missing the rotor and cap. But if that's not it, then I have no clue.

BEE'S TWIN

Found it... Camshaft synchronizer is what the other forums say it is.. Thought it was a distributor but 04-06 I guess did not have one.. Little POS gear assembly is 300 bucks... Ouch!!!

Elusive

distributer

Found it... Camshaft synchronizer is what the other forums say it is.. Thought it was a distributor but 04-06 I guess did not have one.. Little POS gear assembly is 300 bucks... Ouch!!!

2000 and up were all distributerless ignition systems. go to the junkyard and grab one for $30.

Jwill

Is there anything special about removal and install?

Yes. And I would suggest you jump over to jeepforum.com and read the very very detailed discussion on this part. The specific part is know as the oil pump drive assembly. Search opda on the jeep forum and you'll get more info than you ever wanted on this. I have an 06 rubicon and just changed this part out.

Jwill

Yes search opda in the tj technical forum. Be prepared it may take a very long time to read through but very valuable info there.

I went with a new Dorman unit from RockAuto.

You only have two options Dorman and Mopar. The factory unit is flawed by design so you'll want to modify the Mopar unit if you go that route.

Are you having issues with yours?

BEE'S TWIN

Ya I have this crazy monkey screaming sound. So I just bought the whole unit to replace.. It's the moparone I believe.. The ones at O Reily and Autozone were 300 bucks. That one was 183.. Mopar ok?

Top Bottom