Caliper not releasing

wintedarin

I have a '12 JKU, manual transmission, with about 47k miles on it. About 3 months ago I noticed a burning smell from the right rear. So I jacked it up after it had sat for awhile and the wheel turned freely, but after I pressed the brake and let off it the wheel would not turn without a lot of force. I pulled the wheel off and after lightly tapping on the caliper the wheel would turn freely...I would push the brake pedal again and I would not be able to turn it. I pulled the caliper off both sides and noticed the right side pads were worn quite a bit and when I tried to compress the caliper with a C clamp it was very difficult...left side were not worn as much and caliper compressed easily. I ended up replacing the caliper on the right rear and put a new set of pads on the back. Seemed like everything was good again for a few weeks then started noticing the burning smell from the right rear again...only now it seems to be intermittent. The caliper is still under warranty so can get that replaced, but just seems odd that I would have issues so quickly and for it to be intermittent...any ideas for anything else I should be looking at? Other issue I have is when I get on the brakes hard it will initially pull to the left, but if I apply them normal I don't notice any pulling...also noticed that when I bled the brakes that when doing the left front the pedal went down much easier than the other 3...not sure if these are related or completely separate issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Skeeterbait

I had the same issue on my 2013 after about 2 years. The right rear seized and toasted the pads. I just rebuilt it and replaced the pads on both rear wheels. Salt/moisture got in the boot for the pins and rusted it. I now check them every spring after snow/salt season is over.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Unfortunately, the progrips don’t replace the calipers. But well worth the investment!

I have to constantly clean and Regrease mine to avoid break drag. You can hear them dragging. But I’ve never had one seize. The mud and salt here in Michigan gum them up pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

Unfortunately, the progrips don’t replace the calipers. But well worth the investment!

I have to constantly clean and Regrease mine to avoid break drag. You can hear them dragging. But I’ve never had one seize. The mud and salt here in Michigan gum them up pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

oh thats right. they just have different brackets.

I had my rear driver caliper stick after I switched the rears to progrips. I wound up exercising the piston a couple times via brake pedal, bleeding the rears, and cleaning and adding extra grease to the slide pins. Haven't had an issue since.

Top Bottom