Advantage of 3in lift vs. 4in lift

TRAMjam

I was wondering if there would be any real advantage of running a 4in lift over a 3in? Or any downfalls of either? I plan on running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35X12.50R17E2 and Mickey Thompson Classic lock 17x9 which I believe have 4.5 backspacing. It's a daily driver and dont know if that extra inch is worth it. All opinions are appreciated :yup:

3" will be fine with some flat fenders or cut fenders. 4" will be too tall. Here is mine with a 2.5BB and 35" without flat fenders (cutting tonight :thumb:). I also have 1.5" wheel spacers. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362623908.269278.jpg

Tackerdown

Banned
other than getting the under carriage clearance and to be able to run 40's I can't see a big benefit for the 4 vs 3. but I'm sure someone else will chime in with something a little more specific.

StrizzyChris

3.5"-4" is what I would run on 37". 3" is a little too tall for my taste with 35's. Buuut thats because I think if a tire doesnt fill the wheel well, it makes even a 35 look tiny.
normal_IMG_7399.jpg
(not mine...random online 4" w/35's)

If you have wheel spacers, trim the fenders, bump stop ext, and even a 1 3/4" coil spacer you would be fine with 35's.

suicideking

I think 3" - 4" would be fine. I have the RK 2.5" Max Travel and 35's. Had some major rubbing problems and got flat fenders. I'm considering replacing the springs with RK 3.5" (closer to 4"), or 4" springs from someone else.

Of course, I'd have to get new shocks too, so this is putting off the upgrade.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're just planning to run 35" tires, I would stick with 3" of lift as it is a good height for them and it will help to keep your center of gravity down. 4" is just way too tall and to keep your Jeep riding/handling well, will need more components to dial in your ride.

JethroJK

3" will be fine with some flat fenders or cut fenders. 4" will be too tall. Here is mine with a 2.5BB and 35" without flat fenders (cutting tonight :thumb:). I also have 1.5" wheel spacers. View attachment 18592

Not to hijack the forum but did you have to do anything extra or did you just install 2.5 BB and wheel spacers? Looking at doing that on my 2012 JKUR Manual.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I'm running a 3" lift with 35s and I think it works perfect. I can still flex it out with only minor rubbing on the factory fenders
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362668967.025575.jpg

Top Bottom