Wtf gas’s mileage??

ihaveemerged

About 10 months ago I purchased a 2014 Jeep JKU with 90,000km on it. Right away I noticed I was only getting anywhere from 360-380km per tank of gas no matter what I did with my driving habits. It didn’t make a difference if I manually shifted (auto trans) to gear up at a lower RPM or left it in full auto. My driving week to week is usually the same route day in and day out so no significant changes in roads or condition.

A few months ago I installed a MagnaFlow axle back 15160 Large Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust. I didn’t do anything with the Jeeps computer just installed the muffler and went on with my day. I mainly purchased it for the look and sound (doesn’t sound as nice as I would like but it’s better than stock) but didn’t expect much “performance” improvement from it. A couple months after installation I started to notice my gas mileage improving with each fill up. At this point I have gone from 360km per tank to 440-460km per tank!

I find it hard to believe that replacing the muffler would make this much of an improvement in gas millage but there is nothing else that is different in regards to the Jeep or my driving habits. Is it possible that the CPU has over time recalibrated based on more airflow and somehow improved my mileage? Curious to get other people’s thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

KeroJK

Oh if there is anything out there that could do that I'm all in for trying. Let me know!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Stotch

Caught the Bug
If I converted that right. That’s roughly 13 miles per gallon.
Meh
Lowerish side of normal.

Yeah, for a JKU I'm getting 13-14 mpg (from 10-11 mpg) depending on how empty you run it. That's pretty terrible. I get better than that with the 3.8L, 4.88s and 35s...

KeroJK

I’m not saying I’m blown away with the fuel economy now, it’s still shitty but that’s a significant difference from the extra shitty fuel economy a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Agreed. I did the math as well and that's still worst than what I'm getting but the difference is worth it. Keep us updated cause ill get that cat back if that's actually what is making you run better mpg.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Stotch

Caught the Bug
If that's the exhaust I think it is, and you gain 2 mpg in that range, you'll have to drive approximately 20,000 miles before you'll start saving money. Just FYI. I'd smash that thing on the rocks before I'd ever make it to 20k LOL

Sunset83

I drive a stock JKU, automatic, my job is only 6 miles away and I thought getting 15.6 was bad.

sunset83

Top Bottom