Rooftop tents

JKEmmy

Hey everyone, tell me about your rooftop tents! What's the best bang for the buck. What do you like dislike! Pictures are encouraged! Tell us what y'all like we are interested in getting one.

Kirkwood1

IMG_6016.jpg

So here is ours! And here is kinda some insight from the research I did. All the roof top tents are constructed about the same way with some exceptions. My tent is overland labs from a company down in La. When I was looking for a tent my biggest thing I was looking for was the annex that hangs below (It’s not pictured here) because we do a lot of snow camping. I wanted a dry room so I can change without my clothes hitting the ground. But anyways most of them will come with some sort of sleeping pad. Some will be better than others but I just recommend doing a 4” mattress pad from Costco or somewhere else. I love our tent but there are a few downfalls. Like you can feel the weight on top of the Jeep. Another is when your doing a weekend trip you have to fold everything back up to go explore.

These are just my experience and overall I still love my tent! I am going to look into a trailer option though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone, tell me about your rooftop tents! What's the best bang for the buck. What do you like dislike! Pictures are encouraged! Tell us what y'all like we are interested in getting one.

You need a big, heavy, permanently mounted rack to support a big, heavy, permanently mounted substitute for something that you can put on the ground for a fraction of the price and leave set up while you explore. Cool in theory, but in practice .... no thanks.

trailraider

You need a big, heavy, permanently mounted rack to support a big, heavy, permanently mounted substitute for something that you can put on the ground for a fraction of the price and leave set up while you explore. Cool in theory, but in practice .... no thanks.

agreed.... you can spend the money better elsewhere.

dytrdr5

Agree with some of the above comments and disagree with others, but then again going roof top tent works well in some cases and poor in others. Personally I really love my roof top tent, it’s easy to open and close, comfortable and I never have to worry about putting up a muddy tent after it rains.

Yes they are more expensive than a traditional ground tent, and require a roof rack to mount them on.

The mobility problem can usually be solved by putting it on a trailer. Here is a shot of my set up and as far as best bang for your buck it’s hard to beat Roam adventure company out of Austin, Tx IMG_5849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
There are Pros and Cons some have been covered. Pros being your not sleeping on the ground, easy setup and put away, don't have to store in your Jeep. Cons being weight or fitment affecting the Jeep some on Extreme trails, ladder to get in/out, price can get high.

But overall it's one of my favorite mods to my Jeep, Price : I waited for a sale got my rack (Kargo Master)and RTT (Smittybilt)1300-1400 range. Weight- doesn't weigh anything outrageous different sizes vary.

It's definitely convenient and comfortable and I do enjoy that I can practically setup camp relatively anywhere and in a reasonable time, weatherproof.

Attachments

• 20180804_210336.jpg
    20180804_210336.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 230

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Agreed! I wanted one...and...well...I'm fat. Just like fiend said. I'll get a ground tent so much easier. Heck for he cost of a rack and tent you could probably make a tow behind as well.

JKEmmy

Awesome thanks guys, we have a little trailer we love and use all the time. Just hard to drag that down a trail and sometimes I have towing through the mountains. So we were looking for another option. If we want to just load up for an easier drive or hit a trail and stay over night. I have some thinking to do. Big ground tent or roof tent.... Hmmmm. Either way the pictures are fun to see! Haha. Here's our current set up.

Brute

Hooked
Camp at RS.jpg

While I did enjoy my James Baroud on top of my JKU for a short while, I removed it for 2 main reasons...it definitely changes your cog (this pic is at Rubicon Springs a couple years ago)...the other is I couldn't get my jeep into the garage anymore...

Two major reasons for this type of rtt (hardtop clamshell)...if roll into camp late and tired, you just undo four clamps and gas struts lift your tent for you...your mattresses, sleeping bags and pillows are already inside waiting for you to climb in...total set up time...2 minutes. The other great reason for a rtt, especially up here in the PNW...it can rain as hard as it wants, you are staying high & dry.

JKEmmy

Well I can't figure out how to get a picture to work. I'll post a shot when I figure this out sorry guys. It won't let me attach.

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_103842173.jpg
    IMG_20180705_103842173.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 183

Brute

Hooked
trailer1.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best way to enjoys a rtt...on a small off road trailer. You can head out with plenty of cargo space, then set up camp and leave with your rig to explore...

Brute

Hooked
Well I can't figure out how to get a picture to work. I'll post a shot when I figure this out sorry guys. It won't let me attach.

I have a similar bean bag game I bring for my kids when we camp...except they never play, only the adults (after a couple beers)...then it begins to get a bit competitive...

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I'll start with the fact that I don't have one. A couple of reasons come to mind. For me, I don't want anything on my roof, it makes your profile taller (more to catch on obstacles trees, wha), If I want to go topless it's a bigger deal to do. As some others have mentioned if you want to go wheeling you have to pack it all up.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Top Bottom