Flushing coolant from engine block

Slimebones

Replacing radiator. Before I install new radiator, what is the best method to flush the engine block. I presume you should remove the thermostat and flush fresh water through to exit the lower hose outlet. Is there a preferred method to pressurize this approach?

WJCO

Meme King
Pull the tstat and flush the block with garden hose. That's how I've always done it.

Slimebones

Pull the tstat and flush the block with garden hose. That's how I've always done it.

Got it. Was just wondering if there is a better way to maybe force more water through there to pick up any residue sitting on bottom. Have used stop leak in the past (emergency) and suspect some is still hanging out there. Thanks for quick response.

I’ve had some mixed positive results with prestone’s flush cleaner additive, if you’re worried about that stuff plugging up your system, specifically the heater core .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Have used stop leak in the past (emergency) and suspect some is still hanging out there.

I wouldn't be surprised. This radiator of mine that only has about 200 miles on it and after it didn't fix the problem, I added stop leak. I pulled off the tanks the other day just for kicks (it was defective for another reason so it was trash), and found all of this shit built up inside from the stopleak.

IMG_20180826_075528_120.jpg

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately I have never found anything that truly breaks down stop leak for a flush. A radiator shop can hot tank the radiator or heater core but that's probably not very cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom