Mpg, wear, and that jazz.

JK&Beyond

Dad's looking to get 35" Mud or trail grapplers on his 6cyl TJ. I hear they're heavier than most tires. We're wondering how bad of an mpg drop he's going to see. He already has a 4" lift and 33s. Also, how well do they wear on the road (compared to each other)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The slight increase in weight WILL NOT effect your MPG as much as the amount of rolling resistance you will have with either. If MPG is a big concern, you should stick with an All Terrain design or even street tire as they will make a BIG difference. As far as wear goes, you should be able to get 45,000 or so out of them so long as you rotate them on a regular basis.

JK&Beyond

Thanks Eddie! We live on a ranch so mud is common and the only reason mpg was a concern was the long drive into town. It doesn't sound bad the way you put it. We don't need fantastic mpg, we just didn't want to lose a ton of efficiency. And 45K sounds great. Thanks again. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You got it. I should note that between the Mud and Trail Grappler, the later will give you better MPG and will be A LOT quieter on pavement. Just something to think about.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Im a big fan of the Treadwright Guard Dogs. The roll good and got tons of traction. They are extremely affordable and so far I have not had a single issue with them. But as Eddie mention being quiet, they hum but its not too bad. Its nothing compared to my Procomp Xterrains.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

JK&Beyond

Im a big fan of the Treadwright Guard Dogs.

These are retreaded tires? They are a fantastic price. I've read a few other things on JKF and other places about them and people like them. Why haven't I heard of these before? Is there a reason they're not as popular and how are the sidewalls (I just put a big gouge in my sidewall)? Sorry for so many questions.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
People are afraid of them because they are retreads. They are araid of blowouts or whatever. The tests and technology these tires are subjected to makes them far safer than in the past. They dont recommend air down because it stresses the sidewall. (Voids warranty too) the sidewall stress is applied to any tire that is aired down though. I air my tires down just a few pounds, just enough to get the street pressure out for that tiny bit extra traction. Treadwright does have their new design out that is a wall to wall retread. I have taken mine on rocks, deeep sand, long highway drives, pretty much everything except mud. I hate mud. If you have more questions I would be more than happy to answer them.(dont want to thread hack, but I feel this conversation is welcomed here) I love these tires man. When they stop making them, I will stop buying them. Not until that day comes though.

JK&Beyond

People are afraid of them because they are retreads. They are araid of blowouts or whatever. The tests and technology these tires are subjected to makes them far safer than in the past. They dont recommend air down because it stresses the sidewall. (Voids warranty too) the sidewall stress is applied to any tire that is aired down though. I air my tires down just a few pounds, just enough to get the street pressure out for that tiny bit extra traction. Treadwright does have their new design out that is a wall to wall retread. I have taken mine on rocks, deeep sand, long highway drives, pretty much everything except mud. I hate mud. If you have more questions I would be more than happy to answer them.(dont want to thread hack, but I feel this conversation is welcomed here) I love these tires man. When they stop making them, I will stop buying them. Not until that day comes though.

Haha not thread jacked. It's all good. WOL answered my dad's Nitto questions. Now my attention has turned to these treadwrights.

So as far as airing down, I prefer to go to about 15-16psi (I don't have beadlocks and hate losing a bead). Could I take these this low or is that too much? They're cheap enough that I wouldn't punch myself in the face if something happened to them and I could always just have 2 spares since there cheap.

And I hate mud too, but sometimes you just want to get dirty..Am I right?? :brows:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I would definitely NOT recommend going that low. I only let out about 10lbs or so.. Just to get the tire a lil squishy so it doesnt dig so hard. But what you do is what you do..lol.. In all honesty (my opinion) I dont see why they couldnt be aired down. I just dont want to void my warranty. If you watch the vids on Treadwright there is a guy that is testing them in Moab. The picture on the vid is a guy sitting with a dude standing in a yellow shirt. They zoom in on his tire when he is on the rocks, thats more than I air down.

Top Bottom