Oil leak while flexing?

GBoJKU

So...had our 2014 JK off-roading over the weekend and shortly after hitting the trail we were flexing on a rocky path in 4WDL - one front tire fully off ground with spring fully extended - and caught rear diff on the way up a hill. Then we caught some oil leaking from back side of engine (or transfer case?). Called it a day early to ensure we could get home (about a 90 minute drive) but didn’t seem to lose any more oil. (Perhaps we should have stayed in the trail....) Any similar experience? Still need to see whether going back into 4WD causes an issue, but try to figure out where oil may have come from temporarily...

Thanks!

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Engine and transfer case are pretty far from each other. I suppose it's possible that a bad oil pan gasket could leak when all the oil is at that side of the engine. I would recommend you clean off any oil under there and look for the fresh oil next time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SnailTrail

Could be the oil cooler. If the valley under the manifold fills up it will spill down the bell housing and make it look like your trans pan is leaking. You can check to see if you have oil sitting around the filler neck and down the housing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So...had our 2014 JK off-roading over the weekend and shortly after hitting the trail we were flexing on a rocky path in 4WDL - one front tire fully off ground with spring fully extended - and caught rear diff on the way up a hill. Then we caught some oil leaking from back side of engine (or transfer case?). Called it a day early to ensure we could get home (about a 90 minute drive) but didn’t seem to lose any more oil. (Perhaps we should have stayed in the trail....) Any similar experience? Still need to see whether going back into 4WD causes an issue, but try to figure out where oil may have come from temporarily...

Thanks!

Would you say it was coming out of the bell housing maybe or more like the transfer case skid plate? Was it dark in color or more like a reddish color?

WillyRockIt

Could be the oil cooler. If the valley under the manifold fills up it will spill down the bell housing and make it look like your trans pan is leaking. You can check to see if you have oil sitting around the filler neck and down the housing.

^^^^^ what he said... Had the same issue. Only leaked while on a steep incline. Oil was leaking from the cooler and pooling up. It’s pretty deep in a few spots so it’ll hold a lot before it will leak on a level surface. Like the above said, take a look below the cooler where the filter sits. Hard to see but with a good flashlight you will.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GBoJKU

No leaks found...

Thanks all - thinking it was probably oil cooler as suggested. Had our local Jeep shop (called the Jeep Shop!) take a look and they couldn’t find any leaks, so I’m writing this off for the time being (still pissed that we cut our day on the trail short...)
:rock:

DMF

is your jeep still under warranty? Hopefully they can find out what's leaking and fix it for you. I have oil collecting on my skids and all the way down to my cross member. I could never tell what color the oil is because by the time enough builds to tell there is a leak the oil is covered in dirt. Anyways the dealer I use is going to replace my trans pan gasket and rear main seal under warranty.

Top Bottom