Increase fuel capacity on '15 JKU

My brother and I spent 5 days camping in the Arizona Strip in our 2015 JKU Sports last week and one of the issues we had was running low on fuel and having to make the 60 plus mile round trip into Fredonia to refuel in order to continue our trip.
So I am wondering what everybody here is using to increase their fuel capacity? Rotopax off the spare tire, gerry can brackets off the spare, gerry cans on the front fenders or something by Genright, Long Ranger or something else?
Pictures and ideas would be greatly appreciated along with your pros and cons that helped you arrive at your solution.
(Self immolation isn't pretty, so please don't tell me that you carry your gas inside your ride.)

Thanks.

Steve

jesse3638

Hooked
My brother and I spent 5 days camping in the Arizona Strip in our 2015 JKU Sports last week and one of the issues we had was running low on fuel and having to make the 60 plus mile round trip into Fredonia to refuel in order to continue our trip.
So I am wondering what everybody here is using to increase their fuel capacity? Rotopax off the spare tire, gerry can brackets off the spare, gerry cans on the front fenders or something by Genright, Long Ranger or something else?
Pictures and ideas would be greatly appreciated along with your pros and cons that helped you arrive at your solution.
(Self immolation isn't pretty, so please don't tell me that you carry your gas inside your ride.)

Thanks.

Steve
Camping on the AZ strip this time of year Id be more concerned with carrying water.

That being said I have no auxiliary fuel tank. Rotopax seem to be popular and there appears to be endless ways to mount them.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Actually it rained everyday with highs in the 70 and 80's. Lots of water and mucho mud.

My brother has some Rotopax for fuel and water hanging off of his spare.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a Titan Trail Trekker. It carries 12 gallons. You transfer fuel to the vehicle tank with a shaker siphon and hose. It has worked very well for me. When full it is heavy. So I usually have it empty unless I know I’m going to need the extra fuel. It is permanently attached, which may be a plus or minus depending on the person. IMG_0654.jpg IMG_4572.jpg

Last edited:

RSQCON

I would say a GenRight replacement tank is your best bet considering they offer up to a 40 gal tank. You lose a little ground clearance in the back but the skid plate is bomb proof.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I run the AEV reserve on the AEV tire carrier. Just like fiend’s it uses s shaker siphon. It holds 10 gallons, but unless we are going to a remote are, I only keep around 3 gallons in it for emergencies or to help someone out. I’ve had it for 4 years and am extremely happy with it.

P1150071.jpg

Diy?

Has anyone made a tank them selves that would ride in the space between the frame and the prop shaft? I don't necessarily mean made the tank, but adapted something already made and rigged up a way to fill it and transfer the fuel to the main?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Has anyone made a tank them selves that would ride in the space between the frame and the prop shaft? I don't necessarily mean made the tank, but adapted something already made and rigged up a way to fill it and transfer the fuel to the main?

Sounds like the Long Ranger. You’d have to get one from Australia.

Ddays

Hooked

That sounds like it could get sketchy - I don't know that I'd want to piss around trying to get something in that small of a space & then hope it never gets whacked or punctured somehow. There are so many good options out there that while what you're suggesting sounds feasible, in practice I wouldn't want the worry. I went Rotopax as well.

CL1A9629.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Sounds like the Long Ranger. You’d have to get one from Australia.

That thing looks like an awesome idea for cross country driving but an awfully bad idea for any off-roading that involves rocks. Looks like no skid plate on that tank. :shock:

fiend

Caught the Bug
That thing looks like an awesome idea for cross country driving but an awfully bad idea for any off-roading that involves rocks. Looks like no skid plate on that tank. :shock:

One could fab something I’m sure. But it seems to me like an expensive solution to a rarely encountered problem, at least in the US, where there are gas stations aplenty nearly everywhere.

sm31

This might warrant some type of poll but I was wondering... For those with auxiliary fuel tanks:

1) Have you ever used them?
2) If so, was it for emergency purposes or was it a planned excursion that exceeded the capacity of the stock tank?

I live in a place where gas stations are rare (putting it lightly), so I am very interested in this topic but I'm also trying to determine how much extra capacity is "enough". Thanks for the input!

BaddestCross

This might warrant some type of poll but I was wondering... For those with auxiliary fuel tanks:

1) Have you ever used them?
2) If so, was it for emergency purposes or was it a planned excursion that exceeded the capacity of the stock tank?

I live in a place where gas stations are rare (putting it lightly), so I am very interested in this topic but I'm also trying to determine how much extra capacity is "enough". Thanks for the input!
I carry two 5 gallon Jerry cans. I've run out of gas 2-3 times due to poor judgement. I have yet to have to use more than one can to get to a gas station. I have used the 2nd can to fill up others who also had poor judgement, however. 🤣

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom