‘08 JKUR Squeak Diagnosis

Ruvicon

So I’ve developed a rotating squeak in the right rear. I originally thought maybe I slightly bent an axle flange, but the noise starts at 15 mph and stops at about 38 mph with no vibration and it stops when I apply the brakes.

The sound reminds me of an old drum brake rubbing on something.

Could it be something hanging up in the parking brake? I pulled the tire/wheel and spun it by hand, but didn’t notice anything. Brake pads & rotors are ok. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

So I’ve developed a rotating squeak in the right rear. I originally thought maybe I slightly bent an axle flange, but the noise starts at 15 mph and stops at about 38 mph with no vibration and it stops when I apply the brakes.

The sound reminds me of an old drum brake rubbing on something.

Could it be something hanging up in the parking brake? I pulled the tire/wheel and spun it by hand, but didn’t notice anything. Brake pads & rotors are ok. Any thoughts?

Your first instinct is probably correct. Sounds like what mine were doing before I replaced the rear axle shafts.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ruvicon

So I finally found some time to tear it apart and look closer. I measured the runout at outer edge of the rear axle flange and had 0.004” on the left and 0.0075” on the right side.
IMG_6131.JPG

I also measured on the rotors and had 0.007” on the left and 0.018” on the right. It’s time to replace my axles. [emoji31]. The Rubicon strikes again...
IMG_6130.JPG

fiend

Caught the Bug
So I finally found some time to tear it apart and look closer. I measured the runout at outer edge of the rear axle flange and had 0.004” on the left and 0.0075” on the right side.
View attachment 310146

I also measured on the rotors and had 0.007” on the left and 0.018” on the right. It’s time to replace my axles. [emoji31]. The Rubicon strikes again...
View attachment 310147

Vic I have a set of stock Rubicon rear axles shafts you can have. They’re in Arcadia though.

Slimebones

Before replacing the axle shafts, I would try greasing the shims that the brake pads ride on. I personally had a similar squeak that was caused by this and have read others had similar issues. Those measurements don't seem excessive.
Correction: Just re read this post and I stand corrected. If the final reading was taken with rotor torqued to flange then the reading is out of spec.

Last edited:

Ruvicon

Before replacing the axle shafts, I would try greasing the shims that the brake pads ride on. I personally had a similar squeak that was caused by this and have read others had similar issues. Those measurements don't seem excessive.
Correction: Just re read this post and I stand corrected. If the final reading was taken with rotor torqued to flange then the reading is out of spec.

I did turn the rear rotors to ensure they weren’t contributing to the problem and cleaned/greased the brake pad shims. It’s quieter, but flanges are bent. Thanks...

Top Bottom