Looking at wheels - what's the verdict on ATX Slab?

TheLloyd

So I just got my 13 Commando Green Unlimited. I am starting to put my build list together. So far I am between the Currie Suspension and the EVO Enforcer. Kings and Bilsteins, 35's and 37's, Micky Thompsons and Nittos, but the wheels, come on, how many choices does someone need? My lord!

What's the overall thought on ATX Slabs? Is there another wheel that comes to mind.

Thanks!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It basically comes down to what you like. Seems like you have a lot of choices to make but its all preference. Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for a set of beadlocks, Slabs are what I would go with. Super strong, thick rings and they come in a nice 3.5" of back spacing.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Choosing wheels can be really tough. Along the lines of what Eddie said, I would first decide whether you want to run beadlocks or not. I would also determine what backspacing you need for your particular application. The answer to those two questions may significantly narrow your choices unless you are planning on running spacers.

TheLloyd

Yes I want beadlocks.

I like a wider wheel with a nice lip. Plus, I really like the look of beadlocks. The protection they provide to the valve stem and so on. I do know that with the narrower wheel, locks are not really needed when deflating, but as I grow in off road and start to push my comfort zone, I will ultimately find myself doing more technical trails and such. So why not start in the right direction with wheels and tires and gears. Same philosophy with the suspension and everything else.

So knowing that, does that help in the suggestion department?

Thanks again!!!

Rock-itman

Yes I want beadlocks.

I like a wider wheel with a nice lip. Plus, I really like the look of beadlocks. The protection they provide to the valve stem and so on. I do know that with the narrower wheel, locks are not really needed when deflating, but as I grow in off road and start to push my comfort zone, I will ultimately find myself doing more technical trails and such. So why not start in the right direction with wheels and tires and gears. Same philosophy with the suspension and everything else.

So knowing that, does that help in the suggestion department?

Thanks again!!!

ATX or SPYDERLOCKS Im down to thoose two myself . Trying to decide . I think the ATX is easier to clean and get the snow off the inside lip ???? But i thinki they are both great products :thinking:

BR0KEN Y0KE

The ATX and Spyderlocks are the same. The difference is the style of lock ring you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The ATX and Spyderlocks are the same. The difference is the style of lock ring you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup, ATX makes Spyderlocks and the two wheels are the same with the only difference being the star in the ring of the later. I've run both and prefer the Slabs.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Yup, ATX makes Spyderlocks and the two wheels are the same with the only difference being the star in the ring of the later. I've run both and prefer the Slabs.

Newbie question. When you mention Slabs are you referring to the flat outer beadlock? It appears to me their function is protective and they're replaceable when seriously hammered?:crazyeyes:

bob-o12jk

Banned
Newbie question. When you mention Slabs are you referring to the flat outer beadlock? It appears to me their function is protective and they're replaceable when seriously hammered?:crazyeyes:

Slab is the model of the wheel that's made by ATX

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheLloyd

I really appreciate all the input. The ATX Slab is the one I like the most. Plus, to see them get a WAYALIFE recommendation, I tend think that trial by fire is on you side. Thanks for the input.

Also with the 37" tire, I see a lot of different posts on the correct gear, but does not seem to have any resolution. I'm thinking 5.13 over the 4.88 gears. Any real performance gain or loss?

Thanks again!

JethroJK

So what is the verdict on ATX slabs on a daily driver? Do they do well at that? This is coming from a guy who offroads on weekends and commutes during the week.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So what is the verdict on ATX slabs on a daily driver? Do they do well at that? This is coming from a guy who offroads on weekends and commutes during the week.

Lots of guys run them on there DD's.

Wayoflife, Moochie, Jelliott076, McPuck, ChrisB, and so on and so forth.

Skid_Kid

I went with the Slabs. Seen lots of good things from others with them. Not to mention they are on sale at ORE till the end of the month. Hint hint.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of guys run them on there DD's.

Wayoflife, Moochie, Jelliott076, McPuck, ChrisB, and so on and so forth.

Yup, we run them and without any problems. Just because they aren't "DOT approved" doesn't mean anything other than the fact that they haven't gone through the process of getting DOT approved.

I went with the Slabs. Seen lots of good things from others with them. Not to mention they are on sale at ORE till the end of the month. Hint hint.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup, it's quite a deal if you ask me :yup:

Top Bottom