Tera Flex Big Brake kit Question..???

jelliott076

I've been noticing since putting on the 37's and the bead locks that the brakes are definitely under a lot more strain. Eddie, Moochie and a bunch of others said it would happen, so it wasn't a real suprise.
I just ordered the TeraFlex Big Brake kit as well as an upgraded oem master cylinder. The question being how much off a pain would it be to do the install myself? Or is it worth while to pay the two hours of labor?

jkrossi

Looks like a pretty simple task if your mechanically inclined. The fun part is bleeding your break lines. I think u could do it. I always think the more you do yourself the more knowledge you gain about your rig.

Sent from my DROID X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not to state the obvious, but brakes are pretty important. If you don't feel comfortable doing the install I would just pay to have it done. Brakes are one of those "better safe than sorry" items in my book.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I never installed bigger brakes until I got up on to ProRock 60's and I'm still running the factory master cylinder so I can't tell you for sure but, I wouldn't think it'd be too bad. I think ramin has done this and hopefully he can tell you better than I.

jkrossi

But hey if you don't have the time or just plain out don't want to do it then pay for it. We could always suck down one of those bottles while four guys gets their own wheel and it will be done in no time.

SoCalDozer

If you have never done brakes before I would wait to do it with someone who has or pay someone. If you dont know what your doing the 1 hour brake swap can turn into a all day thing.
Once you figured it out brakes are one of the easiest things to work on. I learned on my mustang and really wish I had an actual teacher instead of learning by making mistakes and not having brakes for 2 days lol

jelliott076

I've done brake pad replacement and even swapped a master cylinder on an old honda but I've never done the shoes or the lines. It looks simple enough but its my daily driver and I don't need it in the driveway for two days when I could pay ORW to do it in two hours. I also don't want to crush some unfortunate soul in a prius or fiat when they fail...though that may seem a bit amusing..

jkrossi

Looks like socal dozer is going to have break seminar coming up soon:D

Rebel JK

The bolt up should be pretty cut and dry. Definitly would be good experience to have someone thats bled brakes before help out on so you can learn. You havent lived until you have your 9 year old or wife working the pedal, swearing they kept it down while you tighten the bleeder! Good times...

Bessie

We have the kit and the master cylinder from Teraflex. I watched the install video at Teraflex but decided to have Off Road Evolution do the work instead. I know that my wife is glad we did every time she steps on the brake and the Jeep stops.

xflstl

This is a simple task, even if you have never done it before. Between instructions that should come with it, online youtube how to video's and so on.... And if you ever have a brake problem out on the trail, well then you will be glad that you understand how the system works. If your really uncomfortable doing it, find a friend or neighbor or someone you dont even like, to help you do it. Just for the experience of doing it. The only part that really requires a helper is the bleeding of the brakes, and this only takes 2 minutes per brake if your really slow. :twocents:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think I may have done everything wrong with the brakes while doing my lift so I think I know the right way now. :cheesy:

TheDuff

Teraflex made an install video for this kit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

jelliott076

We have the kit and the master cylinder from Teraflex. I watched the install video at Teraflex but decided to have Off Road Evolution do the work instead. I know that my wife is glad we did every time she steps on the brake and the Jeep stops.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to leave this one to ORW. The quoted me 150 for the labor. Not too unreasonble.

Top Bottom