Blinker and windshield wiper?

Bessie

So over the last couple of weeks, our 2012 JKUR has been doing something a bit different. From time-to-time, when the turn indicator is being used, the windshield wipers will turn on. Sometimes only once, sometimes, for a couple of passes. The turn indicator and the front windshield wiper are not even on the same side of the steering wheel. Called the Jeep dealer and they have never heard of this issue before. Has any one else had this problem?

Bessie

We have had the jeep for 10 months and it just started in the last few weeks. Taking it in tomorrow. They will probably blame the Rigid Lights done today.

Sent from my HTC DROID using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Dude that totally sound like a fluid issue. Low blinker fluid will manifest itself in that way especially since there's no "low blinker fluid" light.

👌👍

10frank9

Web Wheeler
^ though I was on Pirate for a minute !!!! You guys are mean :bleh:

I don't know what "Pirate" is, but some people have a sense of humor. Some people don't obviously....... Most Wayalifers like to have fun now and again as part of the Way of Life.

Great White JK

I don't know what "Pirate" is, but some people have a sense of humor. Some people don't obviously....... Most Wayalifers like to have fun now and again as part of the Way of Life.

Pirate is a forum where alot of people are hard on newby's. Lots of asshats there! I was just kidding too; relax I really like this place and I thought you'd get it as joking also.:rock:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Pirate is a forum where alot of people are hard on newby's. Lots of asshats there! I was just kidding too; relax I really like this place and I thought you'd get it as joking also.:rock:

Haha that's funny. I thought you were serious, you thought I was serious. 👏👍 it's all good. At least now I know what Pirate is.

bumpus

My 2007 was doing that when I first got it last year. I replaced the turn signal lever and the problem went away. I don't remember the part number off hand, and it's probably different with the new interior in the 2012, but the part was only about $30 and doing the install took about 20 minutes.

Bessie

My 2007 was doing that when I first got it last year. I replaced the turn signal lever and the problem went away. I don't remember the part number off hand, and it's probably different with the new interior in the 2012, but the part was only about $30 and doing the install took about 20 minutes.

Interesting idea. The wiper control is not on the same lever as the turn signal lever. Of course, the dealer was not able to replicate the problem or find a cause. It has not done it for the
last couple of weeks.

1yellowjk

Where did you tap into for power to the ridged lights? If you have them tapped into a random wire the new JK's act really wierd due to the wiring system. I was looking for a constant hot off the radio and everytime I used my test light on a hot wire from the radio my windshield wipers would go nuts.

This also happened to my buddy every time he keyed his CB, we traced that back to the aftermarker radio he had installed, once it was removed and replaced with the factory unit the problem went away.

Here's a post explaining the CAN BUS system the JK's use...not from me but from JK Forum. :)

jk forum said:
As someone that works with CAN everyday I see a lot of misinformation and confusion as to what the CANBUS is and how it is used in our JKs. So I figured I'd try and demystify it.

CAN = Controller Area Network. It's a two wire (sometimes a 3rd sheilding wire is used) communications link between control modules. Think of it as the link between your computer and your router/modem at home. All the CAN link does is allow modules to pass information back and fourth ie: vehicle speed, engine coolant temp, throttle position, switch states and so on.

The CAN Link (or CANBUS) is dumb, it doesn't know anything or do anything on it's own. It's vital to the operation of your JK because it's how modules get data from one another, which is why it can cause a whole host of problems if the wires get damaged or one module goes down.

All the inputs and outputs in your JK are controlled by the various modules (not the CAN link itself); TIPM, Cluster, Steering Control, Radio, PCM, Keyless Entry, Occupant Classification Module, ABS and so on.... You have three CAN links, all monitored by the TIPM (the TIPM acts as sort of a gateway). You have the diagnostic link that goes only to the TIPM and the DLC under the dash. Then there is an "interior" link that connects to the cluster and the radio and the non critical modules. Then there is the main link that connects between the TIPM, PCM and safety modules.

Maybe now is a good time for an example. I'll use the headlight/foglight circuit since it seems to be the most talked about.

The headlights and foglights are not directly controlled by the CAN link. Yes the CAN link plays an important role but all it does is transmit switch state.

Your multifunction switch is part of the Steering Control Module. The Steering Control Module monitors the switch position and communicates that position to the Cluster via the LIN BUS (another simpler communications network). The Cluster then communicates that position to the TIPM over the CAN link. The TIPM then decodes the switch state from the message and makes a decision about what to do. The TIPM then controls the headlights via driver circuits (transistors for the most part). These circuits have the ability to monitor current and protect the circuit by disabling the drivers. This is why there is no fuse for the headlights or fog lights. This is also why trying to run a higher wattage bulb does not work (without a relay), the system detects too much current and disables the circuit.

In the end, all your inputs and outputs are controlled by a computer module and the module uses the CAN link to share that information. Why make it so complicated? There are a lot of reasons to start with it allows for multiple modules to share inputs without having to run multiple wires (and without having to have multiple inputs - this makes controllers cheaper), more precise control, better diagnosis and better diagnostic control via a service tool for troubleshooting. Is all this necessary for a wrangler? Probably not but I am sure it allows for a lot of cross platform carry over and reduces engineering/manufacturing costs.

Different modules broadcast different periodic messages. The reason you get into trouble removing something from the link is because there are other modules expecting that message and diagnosing it. And in the case of removing the cluster, the TIPM doesn't know when to turn the headlights on.

I realize I am over simplifying it, but the principle operation of the CAN link is pretty basic. It's the interaction between modules that gets you in trouble. Though there are ways around this with the right tools and know how.

Tackerdown

Banned
Where did you tap into for power to the ridged lights? If you have them tapped into a random wire the new JK's act really wierd due to the wiring system. I was looking for a constant hot off the radio and everytime I used my test light on a hot wire from the radio my windshield wipers would go nuts.

This also happened to my buddy every time he keyed his CB, we traced that back to the aftermarker radio he had installed, once it was removed and replaced with the factory unit the problem went away.

Here's a post explaining the CAN BUS system the JK's use...not from me but from JK Forum. :)
Cool write up thanks for sharing.:thumb:

Mitrig

Ok quick question little off topic and little on topic. So sometimes when I use my signal and it goest back it will signal the opposite direction then I end up having to click from left to right until it finally stops sliding from one to the other and clicks into the centre. Anyone having this problem? I am assuming it is my switch

Top Bottom