Inner pinion Bearing

Preston111395

This is in a sterling 10.25. Got my patter all set making sure everything looked good and when I tightened the crush washer and looked over everything I noticed a gap between the Bering and the race? No way this can be right? I tightened until my Bering preload was at 30 inch pounds as it said too Image1536097797.602122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
What gap are you talking about? If there is an improper gap, that pinion will rock and have excessive play.

Preston111395

I can’t move the pinion at all with my hand and no noticible play but I can take a piece of very thin cardboard and it’ll go all the way around between the Bearing and the race

WJCO

Meme King
I can’t move the pinion at all with my hand and no noticible play but I can take a piece of very thin cardboard and it’ll go all the way around between the Bearing and the race

Did you replace the bearing and the race with a matched set? I have personally seen different brand bearing and races NOT be the same. Example Timken Bearing may not fit a Koyo race even if parts are for the same application. Taper and roller count can be different.

Jody Treadway

Are you putting 10.25 gears in a 10.5 housing? If so, you have to use the 10.25 pinion bearing, not the 10.5.
So if you used the 10.25 bearing but didn't swap out the race accordingly, this will happen. Also if you tried to reuse the 10.5 bearing this will happen.

jdofmemi

I'm not an expert, but it doesn't look deep enough. Pinion depth looks right, well centered, but the contact seems too close to the top of the tooth, so it is not getting the full strength.

It also seems to be contacting on the tip of the pinion, since it is a long skinny contact patch. I feel it normally would be more of an oval. That makes me wonder if the ring and pinion are truly a matched set.

Others with more experience may have better recommendations of how to adjust it.

WJCO

Meme King
Shimming left to right changes my backlash. I’ve got my backlash set to 14 It’s recommended it be set between 11-16 thousands

Your backlash will change along with your pinion depth, that's just how it works. That pattern isn't correct so it has to be fixed. Try tightening up your backlash and see what happens. If that doesn't correct it, move the pinion deeper and then recheck. At that point, if your backlash is too tight, adjust accordingly while keeping the pattern proper. It's tedious.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Also, when you take the pattern, rotate the ring gear while adding some resistance/friction to the pinion with a shop towel or similar around the yoke.

Top Bottom