New (used) engine throwing codes

bloodmice

I just replaced my oil burning 3.6 with another and its throwing p0018 and p0019 codes.

I've tried replacing the camshaft sensor with the one off the old engine with no success.
Wiring looks fine, clipped in all the way.
Old engine didnt throw these codes.
Has rough start up and idle.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas why this is happening, cant find anything online.

Bierpower

Hooked
What causes the P0018 code?

The bank 2 intake camshaft is out of position compared to the crankshaft position.

The bank 2 camshaft phaser is stuck in one position or will not move.

The phaser is not getting oil because the oil viscosity being used in the engine is too thick.

The Oil Control Valve (OCV) is stuck closed or open mechanically.

What causes the P0019 code?

The VVT is out of the position that the Engine Control Module (ECM) correlates with the crankshaft.

Oil pressure to the VVT has blocked passages through the camshaft.

The Oil Control Valve (OCV) is stuck in one position.

The camshaft gear phaser is not adjusting and is stuck in one position.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Need a little help on this one. Any way to test a camshaft sensor? I had no issues until I hooked up the oil temp sensor now the damn thing is t running well. Everything is hooked up and plugged in. Kind of at a loss here. I’m getting P0019

A.J.

Need a little help on this one. Any way to test a camshaft sensor? I had no issues until I hooked up the oil temp sensor now the damn thing is t running well. Everything is hooked up and plugged in. Kind of at a loss here. I’m getting P0019

Try unplugging and re plugging in sensors. Clear code and then start and let idle for awhile like 15min or so. If that doesn’t work disconnect battery and zip tie cables together overnight then re try start and let idle. You have 2 right? On the back of each valve cover? I think the sensors are pretty cheap if you need them. Did the oil temp code go away?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Try unplugging and re plugging in sensors. Clear code and then start and let idle for awhile like 15min or so. If that doesn’t work disconnect battery and zip tie cables together overnight then re try start and let idle. You have 2 right? On the back of each valve cover? I think the sensors are pretty cheap if you need them. Did the oil temp code go away?

Oil temp went away yes. It sounds like it’s misfiring so I am hesitant on letting it run. I don’t really know much about motors so if it won’t hurt it I’ll let it run and see what happens.

Yes there is two. One on each side back of valve cover.

Zip tie together like touching?

A.J.

Oil temp went away yes. It sounds like it’s misfiring so I am hesitant on letting it run. I don’t really know much about motors so if it won’t hurt it I’ll let it run and see what happens.

Yes there is two. One on each side back of valve cover.

P0019 is bank 2 passenger side. It is a correlation code so it will run like shit. Unplug and check wiring. Kinks, melting, etc. look inside the plug and make sure pin connectors are good and not pushed in or anything. Re plug in and clear the code. Then start and see if it returns. Do you still have old engine? You can rob parts sensor and/or wiring off if it to test.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
P0019 is bank 2 passenger side. It is a correlation code so it will run like shit. Unplug and check wiring. Kinks, melting, etc. look inside the plug and make sure pin connectors are good and not pushed in or anything. Re plug in and clear the code. Then start and see if it returns. Do you still have old engine? You can rob parts sensor and/or wiring off if it to test.

I’ll try that. I never unplugged those sensors so maybe I pinched a wire or something. Has to be something I did since it didn’t happen before.

I do still have the old motor it’s just wrapped up right on a pallet. I’ll try and follow the wires for the sensors and try it. Thanks

Top Bottom