tinting soft top windows

Holeshot

Banned
Hey guys!

I've been looking plasti dip products, and also found protect dip, which is very similar. I know lot of people use these products to smoke their brake lights, but anyone ever tried to tint soft top windows?

If I give it a try, I'm gonna do it on the interior side of the window, so it won't peel off if branches scratch the sides of the jeep. I would also use the glossifier to do a more translucide look.

yay or nay?

Holeshot

Banned
One thing I forgot to mention, If I was ready to pay 300$ + for tinted windows, I wouldn't have posted this ;)

I want something nice, and cheap. I will try it, as plasti dip is reversible if its not to my taste, I'll just peel it off.

:standing wave:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
One thing I forgot to mention, If I was ready to pay 300$ + for tinted windows, I wouldn't have posted this ;)

I want something nice, and cheap. I will try it, as plasti dip is reversible if its not to my taste, I'll just peel it off.

:standing wave:

I found really cheap tinted soft top windows on eBay. But before I did I considered buying the window cling tint that is sold in rolls at Home Depot and Lowes. I have heard of some folks doing this successfully and it seems like it would be beneficial and economical.

Holeshot

Banned
plasti dip is real cheap, I guess 2 cans of smoke and 2 cans of glossifier should make it, costs about 50-60$ maximum.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
nightshades is another option of spray tint, just not sure how well it would work. Im sure this is a dumb thought but would normal window tint work at all if you are careful when removing the windows?

rosspaschall

I'm a man of tint.. I want more than what comes from the factory at 31%. Can't wait to see what this looks like when you're done!

ghostjk

My neighbor recently tinted his soft windows using the "static cling" tint. This is just like normal tint but "clings" to windows instead of using glue like normal tint. He's had it on there for a couple weeks and looks great. I'll be doing mine when it warms up this spring. I'll try and do a write up

Holeshot

Banned
I ordered my smoke plasti-dip today, 2 cans of smoke and 1 of glossifier, can't wait to test this out! :rock:

Holeshot

Banned
ok!

I tried smoke plasti dip, depending on what look you want, it MIGHT work.

In my case, I wanted to be able to see through, and as nobody ever tried before, I gave it a try.

I tinted them from the interior. Applied 6 coats of smoke, and 2 coats of glossifier.

The outside look was nice, but from the inside it was frosty, and couldn't see through.

2013-03-21 20.39.47.jpg
2013-03-21 20.40.19.jpg

It was not very practical since I couldn't see what's behind when backing up. So I peeled the big triangles on the sides and peeled the rear, but left a 4" stripe on top of it for wayalife sticker :D

This morning, I came across this video on youtube, sounds like a nice product.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
that looks almost like laminex...just finished watching the video and it seems like it would be a good cheaper option

jksmith93

Wish I had seen this thread earlier, I literally used the same stuff on my soft top. One can of smoke plasti dip. It does the trick but there is NO seeing through it. I only paid $100 for my whole top thought and it works for me! Mine looks the same from the inside.

Top Bottom