Clockspring

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
How can you tell when you clockspring is centered? When I broke my steering sector shaft, I pulled the one from my other Jeep. My younger son got in the Jeep and accidently spun the steering wheel. I want to make sure it is centered.

Last edited:
I suppose you can spin in both directions and find how many rotations from stop to stop and then just rotate when you are half way and that should be center

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

J

JKDream

I suppose you can spin in both directions and find how many rotations from stop to stop and then just rotate when you are half way and that should be center

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

That would only work if the steering box was installed with the wheel already center.
Without the box, it just spins without stopping until the clock spring wires rip out.

J

JKDream

Anyone else have any ideas?

Honestly might be best to remove the steering wheel and expose the clockspring.
It's a pretty easy process, air bag removal is probably the trickiest as the clips are a pain.
But shouldn't take more than an hour. I don't think you can tell if the wires are overextended without removing the wheel.

remove clockspring, GENTLY rotate one direction until you feel resistance...RESISTANCE.. not 'wont turn anymore' then rotate other way until you feel resistance counting the rotations, rotate back half way. Theres no 'easier' way to do it, and theyre stupid easy to pop the wires off the solder.

Top Bottom