Rubicon front axle replacement quandary

OpenTrackRacer

Tagged a rock a few weeks ago hard and fractured my stock Rubicon right axle tube in the usual location.* This is the first trouble I've had in eight years of hard core off-roading but it was big trouble indeed!* I'm looking into replacement axle housings but I have a quandary...* all the heavy duty replacement housings are 3" or larger in diameter.* I have an AEV DualSport lift which has a number of brackets to relocate the shock buckets, trackbar mounting location, steering stabilizer and swaybar link mounts.* Those are all designed for a 2.5" axle tube and none will fit on these aftermarket axle housings without serious modification and welding.

It seems like this would be a common issue but I'm not finding a ton of answers.* Has anyone else dealt with this?* I'm starting to think I may be better off taking my chances on a new Mopar D44 with the J8 tubes since I went this long on the original housing without any problems.

​​​​​​​Thanks!

J

JKDream

I'm looking into replacement axle housings but I have a quandary...* all the heavy duty replacement housings are 3" or larger in diameter.* I have an AEV DualSport lift which has a number of brackets to relocate the shock buckets, trackbar mounting location, steering stabilizer and swaybar link mounts.* Those are all designed for a 2.5" axle tube and none will fit on these aftermarket axle housings without serious modification and welding.

Not really an issue. Most aftermarket housings come with different bracketry than your standard axle.
They usually have raised trackbar mounts, shock mounts moved further outward (the proper way of doing it opposed to brackets) etc.

OpenTrackRacer

You'd think so but I've talked to both Dynatrac and Teraflex and they didn't have any good answers.* A replacement trackbar doesn't solve the whole problem because the mounting location makes a big difference.* The AEV trackbar relocation bracket also has the anchor point for the steering stabilizer as part of their high steer kit.* Even the axle housings they sell for lifted applications have the swaybar mounts, trackbar mount and shock buckets in the factory locations.

J

JKDream

You'd think so but I've talked to both Dynatrac and Teraflex and they didn't have any good answers.* A replacement trackbar doesn't solve the whole problem because the mounting location makes a big difference.* The AEV trackbar relocation bracket also has the anchor point for the steering stabilizer as part of their high steer kit.* Even the axle housings they sell for lifted applications have the swaybar mounts, trackbar mount and shock buckets in the factory locations.

Not sure who you're talking to over at Dynatrac there, but on my ProRock 44 I have the same raised track bar bracket that's included in any kit.
It has a raised mounting location, a spot to mount the steering stabilizer. Swaybar mounts are in the same location.
It also has shock mounts that are spaced out further towards the end forgings. Mine was just a standard order, nothing custom or changed.

WJCO

Meme King
Tagged a rock a few weeks ago hard and fractured my stock Rubicon right axle tube in the usual location.* This is the first trouble I've had in eight years of hard core off-roading but it was big trouble indeed!* I'm looking into replacement axle housings but I have a quandary...* all the heavy duty replacement housings are 3" or larger in diameter.* I have an AEV DualSport lift which has a number of brackets to relocate the shock buckets, trackbar mounting location, steering stabilizer and swaybar link mounts.* Those are all designed for a 2.5" axle tube and none will fit on these aftermarket axle housings without serious modification and welding.

It seems like this would be a common issue but I'm not finding a ton of answers.* Has anyone else dealt with this?* I'm starting to think I may be better off taking my chances on a new Mopar D44 with the J8 tubes since I went this long on the original housing without any problems.

​​​​​​​Thanks!

I think you're over thinking it. Dynatrac axle should have everything you need.

OpenTrackRacer

I was able to work with Dynatrac to solve this.* Seems like the first person I talked to wasn't knowledgeable about these details. They supply axles to AEV so that made things easier.* Just ordered an axle housing with stock control arm mounting locations (since I have the AEV geometry correction brackets) which will have AEV's trackbar relocation bracket and swaybar relocation brackets welded on.

​​​​​​​Thanks for all the feedback!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I was able to work with Dynatrac to solve this.* Seems like the first person I talked to wasn't knowledgeable about these details. They supply axles to AEV so that made things easier.* Just ordered an axle housing with stock control arm mounting locations (since I have the AEV geometry correction brackets) which will have AEV's trackbar relocation bracket and swaybar relocation brackets welded on.

​​​​​​​Thanks for all the feedback!

Awesome. You can’t go wrong with Dynatrac.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom