240 AMP JL alternator on a JK

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm curious, the engine is basically the same and I think the Alternator is placed in the same way as on the JK's. I wonder if this is a good alternative if the alternator on my JK ever craps out...

Exodus 4x4

Be careful with this idea. The alternator on the 3.6 is controlled by the computer. Seeing how they have different ECU’s I doubt it’s as easy as swapping it out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

electron

@jorgelrod - greetings!

I replaced mine about 2 years ago with the the Mean Green alternator model MG1584.

Manufacturer's Site:
MG1584
Specs:
  • Designed to fit stock brackets
  • Direct bolt-on
  • 200 amps (compared to the stock 160A)
  • 2,000 rpms

YouTube has a few videos showing how to install the alternator, so it's a small job that you can do on your own. This replacement goes smoothly if you have a friend who can assist with relieving the tension pulley while you remove the old alternator and replace it with the new alternator.

jorgelrod

Hooked
@jorgelrod - greetings!

I replaced mine about 2 years ago with the the Mean Green alternator model MG1584.

Manufacturer's Site:
MG1584
Specs:
  • Direct bolt-on
  • 2,000 rpms

YouTube has a few videos showing how to install the alternator, so it's a small job that you can do on your own. This replacement goes smoothly if you have a friend who can assist with relieving the tension pulley while you remove the old alternator and replace it with the new alternator.

This post reads like an infomercial...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
@jorgelrod - greetings!

Manufacturer's Site:
MG1584
Specs:
  • Direct bolt-on
  • 2,000 rpms

Forum messiah.

I-Eat-Mud

Be careful with this idea. The alternator on the 3.6 is controlled by the computer. Seeing how they have different ECU’s I doubt it’s as easy as swapping it out.

This is something I didn’t know. The premier power welder kit comes with an alternator. I had planned on that down the road. I wonder if they solved for that problem.

Top Bottom