Sheared Tailgate Bolt Replacement Recommendations?

Noticed today small gap between my EVO tailgate carrier and the tailgate. Started checking all the bolts with my fingers and found one I could spin the washer with just my fingertips. So thinking I was smart I stopped home on my way to a work meeting, got all dirty taking the tire off, and tightened it up... until pop, sheared the bolt. I know I need to replace them with M8x1.25 bolts but was wondering if any of you guys switched out the factory ones the instructions called to be reused? Even when I initially installed it I wasn’t impressed by reusing those 10 factory bolts. If so, same size but just different grade? Figure since I’ll be going through the hassle of removing the stud I’ll replace all of them at once and loctite (?) them this time around. I’m even half tempted to just keep the spare in the trunk but don’t like the idea of having no secure place without my security box when the weather is actually nice enough to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

My instructions said to use the factory bolts also but came with enough bolts to replace them all so I replaced them all with the new supplied bolts

zimm

Caught the Bug
I replaced the factory bolts with grade 10.9 that are longer. They need more thread engagement with the spacers. I bought a bag of 'em from mcmastercarr, my favorite hardware website.

View attachment 311470

Last edited:
I replaced the factory bolts with grade 10.9 that are longer. They need more thread engagement with the spacers. I bought a bag of 'em from mcmastercarr, my favorite hardware website.

View attachment 311470

Yeah wasn’t even the ones at the spacers I had issues with but the ones around the vent. I still have a small gap on the right side of the vent I can’t make go away so assuming it’s intentional. Just bothering me to know it’s like this. Left (farthest from the hinge) is fine but gap is to the right of the wheel (not the ones with spacers)

TheGrendel

View attachment 311470

bumping this am i trying to determine what to do about the gap between the body and the hinge plate plus my bolts are backing out.

zimm,

what length did you choose?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I think it was 35mm. Measure your old ones and get 10mm longer and use blue locktite.

Top Bottom