Overheating after playing in the Mud

zombie hunter

Pushed my jeep abit hard through a mud puddle and now it's overheating.

2013 JKU
When ever I drive up a hill on the highway or put my foot down and work the engine abit my temperature starts to rise around 3/4 and sometimes over.
If I'm just cruising on the straight without giving to much pedal it stays in the middle.

My needle has never gone over half so I must of stuffed up something.

I watered my radiator down as best as I could. My air filter box had water and mud inside and my filter had abit of mud on it to. Cleaned those all out but still need to put new filter. Also noticed my coolant bottle was completely empty and I had to top up my radiator abit. I don't see any leaks and coolant remains full. No error codes and oil level is perfect. Sometimes it feels like it's idling abit high aswell.

Any idea what it could be?

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Pushed my jeep abit hard through a mud puddle and now it's overheating.

2013 JKU
When ever I drive up a hill on the highway or put my foot down and work the engine abit my temperature starts to rise around 3/4 and sometimes over.
If I'm just cruising on the straight without giving to much pedal it stays in the middle.

My needle has never gone over half so I must of stuffed up something.

I watered my radiator down as best as I could. My air filter box had water and mud inside and my filter had abit of mud on it to. Cleaned those all out but still need to put new filter. Also noticed my coolant bottle was completely empty and I had to top up my radiator abit. I don't see any leaks and coolant remains full. No error codes and oil level is perfect. Sometimes it feels like it's idling abit high aswell.

Any idea what it could be?

Is the fan running? Rad could be partially plugged. careful using a high pressure spray though. maybe spray it & let soak overnight then try rinsing out again.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I had that one time and had to take th grill and some other stuff off to get good access to the radiator, then hosed quite a bit of mud out of it. Problem solved.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Also check the backside of the radiator, I went through some deep mud before, takes a lot of cleaning out.

A.J.

Sounds like radiator might be clogged up with mud. Take some time and remove the fan shroud so you can flush out the fins from back to front. Soak it really good and the spray it out from the back side of the radiator. It’s a little more work but you’ll get it a lot cleaner that way if it’s really caked in there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zombie hunter

Is the fan running? Rad could be partially plugged. careful using a high pressure spray though. maybe spray it & let soak overnight then try rinsing out again.
Ya it seems like the fan is kicking in and it actually seems like the fan still runs abit after I turn the jeep off. Not sure if I herd that before or I'm becoming paranoid. I ran a hose with low pressure over the radiar twice but it still overheats. Couldn't really hose the back of the radiator. My jeeps still covered in mud and so is my engine but radiator looks clean from the front. Going to have the jeep cleaned tommorow and put in a new filter. Hope it sorts it out.

zombie hunter

Sounds like radiator might be clogged up with mud. Take some time and remove the fan shroud so you can flush out the fins from back to front. Soak it really good and the spray it out from the back side of the radiator. It’s a little more work but you’ll get it a lot cleaner that way if it’s really caked in there.

Would all that mud on the radiator cause the coolant to evaporate? Going to give it a full clean tommorow including engine bay and hope for the best. Hope I didn't destroy the engine .

zombie hunter

Not to beat a dead horse, because I know I've brought this up several times, but if you go to the hardware store, you can build a little quarter-inch copper wand and drill holes in it and hook it up to your garden hose to really clean out the radiator and condensor fins with minimal teardown. Cost me about 20 bucks.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54157-Problems-after-mud?p=1061375&viewfull=1#post1061375
Noted 👍 if that doesn't sort out the overheating issue. What will be my next step?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Everytime I played in the mud, I would notice my temps would be higher on the way back, I normally let the engine cool a bit when I would get home, the open the hood and hit the radiator from the side of the radiator fan first outwards towards the grille, I would see a ton of mud falling out the bottom of the jeep and would keep doing this until the water cleared out a bit, then I would do the same from under the jeep. Lastly I would gently wash the radiator from the front top to bottom for anything that might have gotten pushed forward but still stuck on the fins. Problem solved...

longarmwj

Pull your grill off, and go by Home Depot or Lowes and get some coil cleaner. It is normally used in AC condensers but it comes in a can and costs 5-6 bucks. Spray it on and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then spray it down with a garden hose. You'll be amazed what you get out of the radiator. Last time I did it I got the worse grey gunk out.

whytiptoe

You have to pull your fan off and spray the backside. This happened to both my brother and myself. It’s easy but you have to do it as all the trash is back there that won’t come out. IMG_0816.jpg

J

JKDream

You have to pull your fan off and spray the backside. This happened to both my brother and myself. It’s easy but you have to do it as all the trash is back there that won’t come out. View attachment 311172

This. I've had this happen quite a few times now. I would also triple check to make sure the fan is running. Mine went out on the last mud bath. $813 from the dealer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zombie hunter

This. I've had this happen quite a few times now. I would also triple check to make sure the fan is running. Mine went out on the last mud bath. $813 from the dealer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app
So I cleaned my engine and radiator. I also replaced the filter. Drove around for 10 mins everything was fine, pushed it abit up a hill then it went up abit. Fan kicked in then it went back to half when I was on a straight 20180925_174031.jpg

Top Bottom