Tranny Cooler

GTJeeper

I’ve had the “HOT OIL” light come on on my dash a handful of times, often not in the best spot if something bad were to happen afterwords. It seems a lot of people recommend a tranny cooler to help with that as I have the early jk with an auto and the 3.8.

What do you guys recommend for a cooler, and do you recommend one? At this point it’s fairly certain I’m going to get one unless it’s a bad idea for some reason. I’ve heard good things about the B&M supercooler, but also like that Mishimoto has one designed for the JK application. Any opinions for or against either?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
This only happened once to us, and I know of another Jeeper that had this happen as well. Both of us were in 4HI on a steep hill. Once he told us that he had been through this before, we shifted into 4LO and the light went away shortly after. It has never happened again. Not sure if that is what happened to you, but if so, it may be as simple as that.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I got the hot oil light in circumstances WJCO described. Later, I got the mopar cooler kit (I think Crown offers basically the same thing). Reasonably priced, pretty easy install, peace of mind, and no more hot oil warnings.

GTJeeper

This only happened once to us, and I know of another Jeeper that had this happen as well. Both of us were in 4HI on a steep hill. Once he told us that he had been through this before, we shifted into 4LO and the light went away shortly after. It has never happened again. Not sure if that is what happened to you, but if so, it may be as simple as that.

Yea I’ve had it come on in 4LO. Occasionally I tow a smaller trailer on trails that’s around 600 lbs or so. On steep inclines even in 4LO with OD off and locked into second gear, it’ll come on. Happens without a trailer too on steep inclines occasionally.

BaddestCross

Yea I’ve had it come on in 4LO. Occasionally I tow a smaller trailer on trails that’s around 600 lbs or so. On steep inclines even in 4LO with OD off and locked into second gear, it’ll come on. Happens without a trailer too on steep inclines occasionally.

That just means you should be locked into first gear, then.

The tranny cooler isn't a bad idea. I'd probably go with the Mopar or Crown as they are OEM spec. They designed it for towing.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed a cooler on my rig from Quadratec. Very inexpensive and easy install. I will try to get the name.

longarmwj

Glad to know I'm not the only one that is tired of dealing with hot trannys.

They make you think one thing, then get you back in your room and.........oh, we're talking about transmissions

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Glad to know I'm not the only one that is tired of dealing with hot trannys.

They make you think one thing, then get you back in your room and.........oh, we're talking about transmissions
Exactly why I don't ever want to go back to Thailand.

Top Bottom