Brake bleed by yourself

I'm preparing to get my jeep maintenance all current and bleeding my brake system is on my list. Been reading the great write-ups on the forum... my background with maintenance is motorcycles and bicycles where bleeding brakes is a one person job.

I usually work on my vehicles when my friends and kids are at work/school. Its just how my timing happens.

Do any of you perform brake bleeding solo?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'm preparing to get my jeep maintenance all current and bleeding my brake system is on my list. Been reading the great write-ups on the forum... my background with maintenance is motorcycles and bicycles where bleeding brakes is a one person job.

I usually work on my vehicles when my friends and kids are at work/school. Its just how my timing happens.

Do any of you perform brake bleeding solo?

Get a one man brake bleeder from your local auto parts store. Makes it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I changed out my front brake lines and bleed the system by myself. I don't remember it being that difficult. Just pump the brakes and then open the bleeder valve at the caliper. I bought one of those cheap kits from Harbor Freight. Took longer doing it myself, but than again I don't like asking for help.

sm31

In my autocross days I used Speed Bleeders... I found them to be cheap and effective.

bmkrinne

Cheaper solution I used is to get a short length of 1/4” ID Tygon tube and a 20 oz coke bottle. Pour about 2” of brake fluid in coke bottle. Connect tube to caliper bleed port and stick free end into the coke bottle. Make sure the end is submerged in the 2” of brake fluid in the bottom of the coke bottle. Crack open the caliper bleeder valve and then jump in the driver’s seat and pump the brake pedal. The caliper will bleed itself and not suck air back in since the end of the tube is submerged. When finished bleeding, close the bleed port and disconnect the tube.

I’ve used this method on several vehicles by myself and had positive results. Best of all, I put the cap on the bottle and throw it away! Only part I reuse is the Tygon tubing.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Cheaper solution I used is to get a short length of 1/4” ID Tygon tube and a 20 oz coke bottle. Pour about 2” of brake fluid in coke bottle. Connect tube to caliper bleed port and stick free end into the coke bottle. Make sure the end is submerged in the 2” of brake fluid in the bottom of the coke bottle. Crack open the caliper bleeder valve and then jump in the driver’s seat and pump the brake pedal. The caliper will bleed itself and not suck air back in since the end of the tube is submerged. When finished bleeding, close the bleed port and disconnect the tube.

I’ve used this method on several vehicles by myself and had positive results. Best of all, I put the cap on the bottle and throw it away! Only part I reuse is the Tygon tubing.

Thats what I do... works great... Also helps to tape the bottle to a chunk of wood to keep it from tipping over.

Top Bottom