New Jeep purchase need help !

atrain

Hey everyone, I need some advice on what to do. So 2 months ago I finally got my first Jeep. ( always wheeled and wanted one but always ended up with 1/4 ton trucks) . Needless to say I’m thrilled about it and love it . It’s a 2015 Willy’s , and now that we’ve had it for a couple months I’ve done a lift and bumpers. But we have kids and I don’t really want to make it a crazy off road built truck , it still has to cart my kids and wife around daily , so I’m looking to get my own rig and build it the way I want it. So my question is this . I have a budget of about 20,000$. And in Canada I’m either getting a 2013 ish 2 door sport or a 07 -08 4 door rubicon with higher mileage. Now I am a mechanic so I’m not scared to replace motors and such and I want to build a daily / off road truck so what route do I go ?!?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
If I were you, I’d put that back into your Jeep and not buy another. I still daily drive mine 25k miles a year and constantly am toting around a couple kids in car seats in the back. If you were to invest it back into your Jeep with a great set of axles and 35s or 37s, you can wheel all weekend long and not worry about breaking something, clean it up on Sunday, and drive it to work. Having two jeeps is twice the maintenance, time, and money in the end.

In the end, you do it tastefully, it can be a beast off-road and still make sense for everyday life.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

If you have a choice, always go with a 2-door. 😎

Seriously, though... If this is gonna be your toy, I'd go older so you have more money to build. I had to go back to an 08 so I could find a 2 door Rubi under $20k a couple years ago. Now that the JL is out, it should be easier.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

atrain

If I were you, I’d put that back into your Jeep and not buy another. I still daily drive mine 25k miles a year and constantly am toting around a couple kids in car seats in the back. If you were to invest it back into your Jeep with a great set of axles and 35s or 37s, you can wheel all weekend long and not worry about breaking something, clean it up on Sunday, and drive it to work. Having two jeeps is twice the maintenance, time, and money in the end.

In the end, you do it tastefully, it can be a beast off-road and still make sense for everyday life.

I thought of that too. But it’s technically my wife’s Jeep lol. We traded her car in for it. Now my truck is on its last legs so If I’m getting another truck so it’s obviously going be a Jeep , do t think I’ll ever own anything else . I’m hooked now

atrain

If you have a choice, always go with a 2-door. [emoji41]

Seriously, though... If this is gonna be your toy, I'd go older so you have more money to build. I had to go back to an 08 so I could find a 2 door Rubi under $20k a couple years ago. Now that the JL is out, it should be easier.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I found a 4 door 08 rubi for 14k. But it has over 200,000km. (124,000 ish miles ) , still not sure lol

J

JKDream

I thought of that too. But it’s technically my wife’s Jeep lol. We traded her car in for it. Now my truck is on its last legs so If I’m getting another truck so it’s obviously going be a Jeep , do t think I’ll ever own anything else . I’m hooked now

If I had to do it over again I would go older Rubicon and put a better motor in it.
While I love my 2013 - I'm not overly thrilled with the motor.

BaddestCross

I found a 4 door 08 rubi for 14k. But it has over 200,000km. (124,000 ish miles ) , still not sure lol

I don't know what that is in US money, but that sounds like a good deal. Unless you're gonna go crazy and pull all the Rubi parts right away, the Rubi is a good choice. Again, my preference is the 2 door, so I'd personally keep looking, but if you're into 4 doors, I'd be checking it out to make sure the mechanicals and frame are good and go for it.

--

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'd buy a TJ, comp cut, 1 ton axles, and swap in a V8. Or buy a used one like that.

atrain

Just an update , I ended up going with a 14 Jku sport. And purchased 4.56 gears and lockers , hoping the 30 will last awhile with 35 s.... wish me luck and thanks for all the input !!

Top Bottom