2015 JKU - AC Not Blowing

H20JNKY

Hey everyone! I have slight problem, I have no AC. About a month ago the AC seemed to be intermittent, for example, after I turned the car on it would be working, turn the jeep off, come back and turn it on, and the AC wouldn't be working. Then for about a 3 week stretch it was working like a rock star, until this morning. The temperature dial (the middle one), which has A/C on it, when I press it, it blinks 3 times and goes dark. No blowing air whats so ever. Anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Is your compressor activating? Have someone turn on he AC while you watch the compressor. You should hear a click and then see the compressor engage when the AC is turned on. If you don’t, then there’s something wrong with your compressor. If you hear the click and see the compressor engage, then you probably have insufficient coolant and pressure in the system. Maybe a small leak in a line or a loose fitting. You might try a recharge canister from your local auto parts place. Maybe you’ll get lucky. But on a 2015, I’m thinking you have a leak somewhere. If you do, the recharge isn’t going to fix it and you’ll need to take it to an AC service shop.

H20JNKY

Is your compressor activating? Have someone turn on he AC while you watch the compressor. You should hear a click and then see the compressor engage when the AC is turned on. If you don’t, then there’s something wrong with your compressor. If you hear the click and see the compressor engage, then you probably have insufficient coolant and pressure in the system. Maybe a small leak in a line or a loose fitting. You might try a recharge canister from your local auto parts place. Maybe you’ll get lucky. But on a 2015, I’m thinking you have a leak somewhere. If you do, the recharge isn’t going to fix it and you’ll need to take it to an AC service shop.

Thanks! I’m going to an ac shop to check it out. Might have a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eloucha

Thanks! I’m going to an ac shop to check it out. Might have a leak.

Hey look on ur radiator before u add any. See the sticker what kind new Freon it cost arm and leg Bc 2015. Is new Freon and they sell it by ounce like 12$. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hey look on ur radiator before u add any. See the sticker what kind new Freon it cost arm and leg Bc 2015. Is new Freon and they sell it by once like 12$. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure everything is R134a these days, but no harm in checking your owner’s manual.

WJCO

Meme King
If you're not getting any air blowing at all, it's likely related to the blower motor or resistor.

As far as refrigerant, anything 1994 and newer should be R134a.

Bierpower

Hooked
From a quick search on the interwebs,

"In 2014, Fiat Chrysler began filling the air conditioning systems on almost all of its models with R1234yf refrigerant. That same year, General Motors (GM) began using it in the Cadillac XTS. Since then, GM has been gradually switching over its entire line of vehicles to R1234yf, and Ford has also begun using it, too."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I don’t have much knowledge about the system, but I would think at least ambient air would be flowing even if the compressor wasn’t working. Sounds like a fan relay or something electrical like that.

Edit: though this still wouldn’t explain why the ac light blinks then goes blank. [emoji848]

WJCO

Meme King
From a quick search on the interwebs,

"In 2014, Fiat Chrysler began filling the air conditioning systems on almost all of its models with R1234yf refrigerant. That same year, General Motors (GM) began using it in the Cadillac XTS. Since then, GM has been gradually switching over its entire line of vehicles to R1234yf, and Ford has also begun using it, too."

Never heard of that stuff. Anything special about it other than it costs more and is supposedly better for the environment? :crazyeyes:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I’m having the same issue on my 2015. I had them dye it so I can see if there is a leak but havent had time to to back and have it checked yet

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I agree with WJCO. The blinking light issue is pointing to a resistor, blower or actuator issue.

My 2016 has the new refrigerant. The sticker that identifies the system requirement should be right up front, under the hood:

IMG_7805.jpg

Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
Never heard of that stuff. Anything special about it other than it costs more and is supposedly better for the environment? :crazyeyes:
It's flammable so you need a special A/C machine (different shrader valves) and they made a couple changes in the plumbing to increase efficiency.

Exodus 4x4

Nope. Just another reason to fuck with the industry and make us buy new equipment, again. They started putting it in some, not all, of the 2015’s.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

This is what I found:

R1234yf is a synthetic HFO refrigerant co-developed by DuPont and Honeywell as a successor to R134a for automotive air-conditioning applications.

Its global warming potential (GWP) is ultra-low, with a rating of less than 1. This means that one kilogram of R1234yf released to atmosphere has a significantly lower greenhouse effect than a kilogram of carbon dioxide. For comparison, R134a has a GWP of 1430.

Years of intensive research were undertaken by the automotive industry to find a replacement for R134a, resulting in the selection of R1234yf as the new standard refrigerant for new systems.

Compared with R134a, considerable upgrades to component quality and robustness, as well as compliance with a number of new SAE standards, have been engineered into R1234yf systems. The systems are designed to prevent potential refrigerant leakage into the cabin.

From a service and repair standpoint, R1234yf has similar thermal properties to R134a, meaning there are only minor system layout and design differences and faults can be diagnosed using the same methods as R134a.

The biggest difference is R1234yf’s A2L flammability rating, which means it is mildly flammable. This has implications for workplace health and safety procedures and means Dangerous Goods rules apply to the storage, transport and handling of this gas.

To ensure workplace safety, new SAE standards apply to the equipment used to service R1234yf systems. Some equipment is rated as compatible with both R134a and R1234yf and some equipment is suitable only for R1234yf.

R134a service equipment and system components are not interchangeable with R1234yf systems unless they meet the relevant SAE standards.

To prevent refrigerant contamination, R1234yf systems have a different service port design to those designed for R134a.

refrigerant_recovery_cylinderUnlike the R12 ban of 1996, supplies of R134a will remain available for servicing existing equipment and there will be no retrofitting between R134a and R1234yf systems.

Enabling businesses and technicians servicing R1234yf systems to comply with Dangerous Goods legislation and safety regulations, new recovery cylinders that are rated for flammable refrigerants are being introduced by Refrigerant Reclaim Australia.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
This is what I found:

R1234yf is a synthetic HFO refrigerant co-developed by DuPont and Honeywell as a successor to R134a for automotive air-conditioning applications.

Its global warming potential (GWP) is ultra-low, with a rating of less than 1. This means that one kilogram of R1234yf released to atmosphere has a significantly lower greenhouse effect than a kilogram of carbon dioxide. For comparison, R134a has a GWP of 1430.

Years of intensive research were undertaken by the automotive industry to find a replacement for R134a, resulting in the selection of R1234yf as the new standard refrigerant for new systems.

Compared with R134a, considerable upgrades to component quality and robustness, as well as compliance with a number of new SAE standards, have been engineered into R1234yf systems. The systems are designed to prevent potential refrigerant leakage into the cabin.

From a service and repair standpoint, R1234yf has similar thermal properties to R134a, meaning there are only minor system layout and design differences and faults can be diagnosed using the same methods as R134a.

The biggest difference is R1234yf’s A2L flammability rating, which means it is mildly flammable. This has implications for workplace health and safety procedures and means Dangerous Goods rules apply to the storage, transport and handling of this gas.

To ensure workplace safety, new SAE standards apply to the equipment used to service R1234yf systems. Some equipment is rated as compatible with both R134a and R1234yf and some equipment is suitable only for R1234yf.

R134a service equipment and system components are not interchangeable with R1234yf systems unless they meet the relevant SAE standards.

To prevent refrigerant contamination, R1234yf systems have a different service port design to those designed for R134a.

refrigerant_recovery_cylinderUnlike the R12 ban of 1996, supplies of R134a will remain available for servicing existing equipment and there will be no retrofitting between R134a and R1234yf systems.

Enabling businesses and technicians servicing R1234yf systems to comply with Dangerous Goods legislation and safety regulations, new recovery cylinders that are rated for flammable refrigerants are being introduced by Refrigerant Reclaim Australia.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2SpWi6acjy4xDfa0/giphy.gif

WJCO

Meme King
This is what I found:

Top Bottom