Steering knuckle question!

rmilobrown

Hi Guys, I have some wobble happening when I hit a bump at about 45mph. The drag link end at the knuckle pops up and down when doing the back and forth steering test. I am replacing the drag link end with a Crown OEM unit. As you can see there is an insert in the stock knuckle, is this original? My first time doing this job. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_20180930_174800032.jpg
    IMG_20180930_174800032.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 107

WJCO

Meme King
If your draglink was installed into the knuckle from the top, it is flipped. You will have to replace it with a RHD one.

If it was installed into the knuckle up through the bottom, it's a regular OEM one.

rmilobrown

Thanks WJCO, It is a stock drag link up through the bottom. I was just surprised to see the insert. I've read and watched plenty on installing the flip kits and never noticed removing the stock insert first before drilling the hole for the top taper insert.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks WJCO, It is a stock drag link up through the bottom. I was just surprised to see the insert. I've read and watched plenty on installing the flip kits and never noticed removing the stock insert first before drilling the hole for the top taper insert.

I wonder if it had been drilled before and someone returned it to stock and put the insert in upside down so it would work in the stock location :idontknow: Not sure. Weird.

rmilobrown

My thoughts as well, anyway I dont see a reason why the stock set up wouldn't work this way. The drag link end will be here today, if it doesn't cure the DW I'll change out the ball joints next. The ball joints were the only other item with a slight amount of play, nothing like the drag link though.

J

JKDream

My thoughts as well, anyway I dont see a reason why the stock set up wouldn't work this way. The drag link end will be here today, if it doesn't cure the DW I'll change out the ball joints next. The ball joints were the only other item with a slight amount of play, nothing like the drag link though.

You can safely run the draglink in the stock (bottom) position with the insert.
Just be sure to check if the hole is too large, as you mentioned it had play.

rmilobrown

Thanks JKDream. The drag link came in today, I cleaned everything up and test fitted the stud to the insert. It all looked good so I tourqued it down, straightend the steering wheel and took it for a test drive. Steering felt good and no wobble!

Top Bottom