I'm going back to the EVO hinged carrier over the body mounted.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I know, I'm crazy. After a year with the body mounted carrier and using my jeep as a daily driver, camper/boat hauler, and cub scout camping mobile I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy another EVO hinged carrier. (I sold my old one for $450, dumb).

I have to run a 13" long trailer hitch stinger so my camper will clear the jeep, and even then, I still managed to hit my propane cabinet on the tire carrier on a tight turn. My bike carrier won't fold up. And I'm getting tired of the extra steps involved in opening and closing the body mounted carrier. My wife can't get the lower lock pin in because of the mis-alignment required to avoid rattles.

Since I'm living down here in Miami, I think I'm going to pull the body mount and store it, and go back to a hinged carrier for daily driver use. Someday when I get a real truck to tow and go camping, I'll put the body mount back on.

I think it'll look fine with the corner armor and flush tail lights. I might even pull the brackets off for a smoother look, it's only 8 bolts.

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
LOL, welcome to the Jeep confessional. Now go do 10 Hail Mary's and 2 Our Fathers. :cheesy:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Conversion complete. The new carriers are packaged great in heavy duty cardboard. Not a dent. They now include awesome "brake pads" as stops. Evo is also including longer bolts for the spacer plates. Bravo.

Now I can see out the rear view mirror. The tailgate opens in seconds. Most importantly, I won't crush my camper anymore by turning too tight backing up. Also I won't need the 13" hitch stinger which kills me with the 425lb tongue weight.

Negatives, it doesn't look nearly as bad ass. Someday the body mount will go back on when I can afford a pickup for tow duties.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Conversion complete. The new carriers are packaged great in heavy duty cardboard. Not a dent. They now include awesome "brake pads" as stops. Evo is also including longer bolts for the spacer plates. Bravo.

Now I can see out the rear view mirror. The tailgate opens in seconds. Most importantly, I won't crush my camper anymore by turning too tight backing up. Also I won't need the 13" hitch stinger which kills me with the 425lb tongue weight.

Negatives, it doesn't look nearly as bad ass. Someday the body mount will go back on when I can afford a pickup for tow duties.

Looks great! Thank you for changing my mind about the body mount. I like the fact that my tire carrier opens with the tailgate with no extra pins needing to be pulled. I do love the look of the evo body mounted carrier tho!

Bear_JT

Hooked

Looks good. It’s the little things that make the biggest difference.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom