Hot floor in the back of JKU. Reloacate muffler?

So, on a recent camping trip I noticed that my ice was melting faster that I thought it should and found that the floor was really hot. Some of it will be from the heat from the engine, but a lot seems to be coming from the from radiant heat from the muffler. The bottom of the ice chest quite warm and when I opened the rear under floor storage the tools were almost too hot to touch.

So I was wondering if relocating the muffler further forward and routing the tail pipe straight out the back similar to some of the rock crawler conversions I have seem done on here would be worth it, or should I just make up some kind of insulating panel or air gap for under the ice chest?

What thought have you?

desertrunner

Is it the stock muffler?
Do you have a heat shield above the muffler. I thought there was a pretty thick shield right above it. Can't say I have ever had my tools too hot to touch in the back storage so maybe something funky going on

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Our stock muffler hasn't created this issue at all. And ours is bedlined with carpet removed. Regardless, moving your muffler in front of the axle isn't a bad idea for rock clearance. Dynomax quiet crawler is a good system.

All stock and OEM. It was also over 100 for a few days, but even later in the trip when it was raining, the floor was quite warm under the ice chest. That can't be good for ice retention in the Canyon cooler.

Top Bottom