Trackbar Frame Mount No Nuts?

MDK210

Are these bolts not supposed to have nuts on the backside of them? Damn website keeps flipping my pic so rotate it clockwise in your brain.

Attachments

• D06A0959-F0F1-419C-8273-620C941E0CDB.jpg
    D06A0959-F0F1-419C-8273-620C941E0CDB.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 104

zimm

Caught the Bug
Are these bolts not supposed to have nuts on the backside of them? Damn website keeps flipping my pic so rotate it clockwise in your brain.

If you take those 4 bolts out your steering box will fall down.

zimm

Caught the Bug
So why do they just spin in place? Seems pretty important for them to not have any torque specs...

They shouldn't spin in place, they should be threaded into the steering box. Doubt they're stripped out of the cast iron. Try tightening them up. 70 ft/lbs.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Oh that's a JL? Why the heck is it in the JK section? No idea on the specs for a JL box.

MDK210

Oh that's a JL? Why the heck is it in the JK section? No idea on the specs for a JL box.

It’s a JK...
The bolts don’t spin freely but the don’t appear to have a stopping point either so you can keep turning and turning until the cows come home.

MDK210

If that's the case, then the steering box is stripped out. I wouldn't drive it like that. You could get a new steering box, but you could also pull the box (it's not that hard), and put helicoils in there so you have threads to grab onto. Maybe a good time for a PSC XD box?

https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/product-brands/heli-coil
Well I was able to torque them down no problems but I’ve been interested in researching steering boxes as a winter bored but not necessary project so I’ll check it out. Thanks to everyone for telling me what the heck those bolts were!

JKbrick

If they were all 4 loose didn’t it drive funny? If they spun freely for that long before tightening I’m surprised they weren’t ready to fall out

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MDK210

If they were all 4 loose didn’t it drive funny? If they spun freely for that long before tightening I’m surprised they weren’t ready to fall out

I don’t think they were loose but you could go out to your JK with a breaker bar and they will continue to rotate for example. That’s why I was curious, there’s nothing stopping the bolts from rotating so while my torqued wrench clicked at 70ft lbs with no issues a breaker bar easily turns the bolts even more.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
With enough leverage any bolt will continue to spin. Eventually it’ll strip out or reach its shear point. Not sure what you got going on but I would suggest pulling the bolts one at a time and inspecting for any signs of stripping. If you went way past torque spec I would replace them. And when you put them back in don’t torque past spec. But then again, it’s only your steering so no big deal.

Slimebones

With enough leverage any bolt will continue to spin. Eventually it’ll strip out or reach its shear point. Not sure what you got going on but I would suggest pulling the bolts one at a time and inspecting for any signs of stripping. If you went way past torque spec I would replace them. And when you put them back in don’t torque past spec. But then again, it’s only your steering so no big deal.

X2^^^ Make sure the bolts are the correct grade and do not overtorque.

Top Bottom