Safe to Drive After Coilover Conversion without Replacing Driveshafts?

So I am about to get started on day three of my coilover conversion and so far it’s been painstakingly slow. Currently still on the rear with shocks hung from top mount, so close to done back there but then it’s on to the front.

My question is, would it be safe to drive if I don’t get around to replacing the driveshafts? I do have a car I could borrow for the week but it’s a hassle. Drive about 33 miles round trip each day with 8 miles being on the highway. This is all hypothetical assuming I can even get the front end done today. Plan would be to do the driveshafts and any fine tuning Friday night and all day Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I am about to get started on day three of my coilover conversion and so far it’s been painstakingly slow. Currently still on the rear with shocks hung from top mount, so close to done back there but then it’s on to the front.

My question is, would it be safe to drive if I don’t get around to replacing the driveshafts? I do have a car I could borrow for the week but it’s a hassle. Drive about 33 miles round trip each day with 8 miles being on the highway. This is all hypothetical assuming I can even get the front end done today. Plan would be to do the driveshafts and any fine tuning Friday night and all day Saturday.

After I installed my evo bolt on coilovers on my 2 door I drove on the factory drive shaft for almost a week till it came in. I did mainly city type driving but I was ok for a bit. It’s not ideal but you can do it till your new shaft comes in

After I installed my evo bolt on coilovers on my 2 door I drove on the factory drive shaft for almost a week till it came in. I did mainly city type driving but I was ok for a bit. It’s not ideal but you can do it till your new shaft comes in

Yeah I’ve got the driveshafts just a time issue. EVO needs to get their act together with instructions!! Looking at instructions for different kits show different things for the same exact parts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you were to set your coilovers stupid high, you should be able to get by around town without any issues. Longer term use, the CV boots on your rzeppa joint will fail but you should be good for a while.

Even if you were to set your coilovers stupid high, you should be able to get by around town without any issues. Longer term use, the CV boots on your rzeppa joint will fail but you should be good for a while.

Thanks. Seems doubtful I’ll get the front done up today anyways but good to know because I only have one night/day to work on it next weekend. Currently drilling for the draglink flip and trimming all the plastic at the top of the shock mount.

feederic

I've got about 26k miles on my factory rear driveshaft after installing coilovers. No issue, I did replace the front driveshaft during the coilover install though.

ThatJeepGuy

I have about 14k on my Jeep since I did my coil overs and blew the front shaft apart at about 5k first trail since install. I still have the stock rear shaft tho

MericaMade

Yeah I’ve got the driveshafts just a time issue. EVO needs to get their act together with instructions!! Looking at instructions for different kits show different things for the same exact parts.

Agree, they make one hell of a great product but a six year old can make better instructions. Also, their website is not the greatest and they need to work on marketing, product reviews, and better pictures on their website.

Top Bottom